BWI celebrates 60 years
Sixty years ago today, President Harry S. Truman crossed the Potomac and boarded a propeller-driven military DC-6, the 1950 version of Air Force One, and took a short flight to dedicate a new airport carved out of Anne Arundel County farmland, The Baltimore Sun reports.
The landing spot, which Truman hailed as "the creation of men who look ahead and have faith in the future," was called Friendship International Airport — a name it would retain for 23 years before becoming Baltimore- Washington International.
Today, the airport is the nation's 23rd busiest, serving about 21 million passengers a year, and a mainstay of the regional economy. An important base for low-cost carriers, BWI is estimated to support about 22,000 jobs as it handles more than a quarter-million takeoffs and landings a year. It was one of only two large U.S. airports to grow in 2009.
Washington Post editors
| June 24, 2010; 12:00 PM ET
Categories: Maryland, Traffic and Transportation
Save & Share: Previous: Suburban Hospital plan up for review
Next: Obama, Medvedev head to Ray's
The comments to this entry are closed.