Posted at 8:52 AM ET, 07/12/2010

Charges possible in dog's car death

By Mike McPhate

The owner of a yellow Labrador retriever that died in a parked vehicle in 104-degree heat last week could face criminal charges, a Frederick County Animal Control official said.

Authorities received a report of a trapped dog in a Costco parking lot in Frederick about 12:30 p.m. Tuesday, Sgt. David Luckenbaugh said. By that time, the owner, described only as a woman from out of state, had left the scene with the 14-year-old animal in the vehicle. Authorities were able to catch up with her at another location, Luckenbaugh said.

Investigators interviewed witnesses and sent the dog’s carcass for a medical examination, which is expected to be completed Monday.

Criminal animal cruelty charges could apply in the case, Luckenbaugh said.

Earlier: Dog dies in hot car in Md., authorities say

-- Mike McPhate

By Mike McPhate  | July 12, 2010; 8:52 AM ET
Categories:  Crime and Public Safety, Maryland
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 3,000 Va. nonprofits fail to file with IRS
Next: Md. inmate dies after hanging attempt

Comments

Watch this

Posted by: bigheadbull2 | July 12, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

This story makes me physically ill. This is nothing short of torture. No animal should EVER be left in a car in this type of heat. I wouldn't leave a dog in a car if it were 75 degrees.

A FOURTEEN year old dog, what is wrong with this woman? That poor animal suffered horribly

Posted by: kelly19 | July 12, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

I remember my aunt telling me and a cousin to stay inside the car while she got out and chatted with a neighbor in 100 degree-plus heat. The car had electric windows and we were unable to roll them down, nor did we want to disobey her. They talked for what seemed like hours, while every last ounce of fluid was sweat from our bodies. Definitely torture. She noticed that we were near death and asked why we didn't get out of the car - we told her that we didn't want to get beat. Years later, I remind my aunt of it every time I see her.

Posted by: CalmTruth | July 12, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

best news I've read in months.

Posted by: FiatBooks | July 12, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Charge her to the max. Not only was it extremely cruel, she's too stupid be caring for a living thing.

Posted by: jckdoors | July 12, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Animal cruelty like child abuse is too common. In the summer or on any hot day, stores should have big signs up to warn stupid/ignorant customers that their security people will be looking in their cars, trucks for children and dogs, cats,etc. Local police should use fines to make big sign posts for stores. Enough!

Posted by: judithclaire1939 | July 12, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | July 12, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | July 12, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PublicEnemy1
"Wait a minute! I believe a policeman just did the samething recently and I don't believe he's being charged for that, so why the double standard?"
----------------------------------
I did some searches and in every one I turned up the officer responsible was punished in someway. Similar to the punishments for negligence contributing to death of a human partner.

Posted by: schnauzer2 | July 12, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: waterfrontproperty "Whadaya mean charges are "possible"? You mean they haven't been filed yet? They should have been filed the day of this travesty."
--------------------------------
unfortunately not all jurisdiction have criminal laws about animal cruelty. There are even a couple of places (brought up in recent similar cases around the country) that since the car is considered private property and the dog is considered property, what you do with (or to) the dog on private propety is no business of the law. Its how some groups have been ablt to geta round dog fighting laws. Sick but true. And in many places animal abuse is only a misdemeanor, even if it leads to death.

Posted by: schnauzer2 | July 12, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Criminal charges!? YA THINK? I hope somebody subjects this goofy broad to the same agonizing torture. Really... it amazes me how some folks just don't seem to have the sense that God gave a billy goat.

Posted by: The_Funknician | July 12, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

I hope she gets jail time.

Posted by: solsticebelle | July 12, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Criminal charges for leaving a dog in the car?

If so, I guess the industrial chicken farmers, the folks who raise veal, and the scientists who experiment on chimps can expect a visit from the SWAT team any day now.

Or is it only a crime if the animal is "cute"?

Posted by: kcx7 | July 12, 2010 6:19 PM | Report abuse

It has nothing to do with "cute". It's a crime because it's cruel. If you have evidence that such cruelty is occurring on a farm, report it to the authorities. There are standards for humane treatment for farm animals, and if they're not being followed, the owners/farmers can be charged.

There is nothing remotely humane about the treatment this dog received.

Posted by: nunovyerbizness1 | July 12, 2010 7:09 PM | Report abuse

There is a legal difference between stock animals (which also includes greyhounds in some states) and domestic animals; it's also common knowledge that the stock industry is notoriously cruel but charges are rare. There's absolutely no question that this falls under the VA state statute for cruelty to animals.

Posted by: kristyn_wilcox | July 12, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse