Chlorine leak forces evacuation
A chlorine leak forced evacuation of part of a building in Hyattsville Monday afternoon, a Prince George’s County fire official said. No injuries were reported.
An odor of chlorine, a potentially toxic gas, was detected about 3:30 p.m. in a mixed-use building in the 6500 block of Belcrest Road in the Prince George’s Plaza area, said fire department Maj. Tyrone Forby.
He said a container in the basement of the building had leaked, prompting evacuation of the first-floor commercial area. Residential units on upper floors were unaffected, he said.
Forby said the chlorine was used as a sanitizer for a fountain in the building. He said firefighters the leak had been contained, and firefighters were decontaminating possibly affected areas.
-- Martin Weil
| June 14, 2010; 6:32 PM ET
Categories: Crime and Public Safety, Maryland
Save & Share: Previous: Memorial set for Red Line crash victims
Next: Bicyclist injured in fall near Chain Bridge
Posted by: mzblk | June 15, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.