Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
Posted at 6:32 PM ET, 06/14/2010

Chlorine leak forces evacuation

By Erica Johnston

A chlorine leak forced evacuation of part of a building in Hyattsville Monday afternoon, a Prince George’s County fire official said. No injuries were reported.

An odor of chlorine, a potentially toxic gas, was detected about 3:30 p.m. in a mixed-use building in the 6500 block of Belcrest Road in the Prince George’s Plaza area, said fire department Maj. Tyrone Forby.

He said a container in the basement of the building had leaked, prompting evacuation of the first-floor commercial area. Residential units on upper floors were unaffected, he said.

Forby said the chlorine was used as a sanitizer for a fountain in the building. He said firefighters the leak had been contained, and firefighters were decontaminating possibly affected areas.

-- Martin Weil

By Erica Johnston  | June 14, 2010; 6:32 PM ET
Categories:  Crime and Public Safety, Maryland  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Memorial set for Red Line crash victims
Next: Bicyclist injured in fall near Chain Bridge

Comments

This article says 3:30pm, but police had E-W Highway closed with emergency responders and DHS vehicles arriving on the scene at 1pm. I was caught in the traffic jam.

Posted by: mzblk | June 15, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

The comments to this entry are closed.

 
 
RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2011 The Washington Post Company