Posted at 12:10 PM ET, 11/13/2010

College Park to activate speed camera

By The Associated Press

College Park is activating its first speed camera that will soon begin handing out $40 fines.

The new camera will be activated Monday along Paint Branch Parkway, WTOP reports. The speed limit in the area is 35 mph. If a car is going 47 mph or faster, the camera will flash.

College Park plans to add more cameras in the future. They are targeting parts of Rhode Island Avenue, University Boulevard, Route 1, Greenbelt Road and Metzerott Road.

By The Associated Press  | November 13, 2010; 12:10 PM ET
Categories:  Maryland
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Va. computer system crashes again
Next: Police look for vandals with BB gun

Comments

This story is about 2 weeks late. I already got a ticket from over there. Thanks for the late heads up.

Posted by: boo4hi | November 14, 2010 7:19 AM | Report abuse

That is a truly dangerous stretch of road for pedestrians and buses. Cars fly along there at 50 or 60 mph.

Hopefully people will start tapping the brakes when they see the speed camera.

Posted by: JTF- | November 14, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Burn it.

Posted by: NyallsStJohnSmytheIV | November 14, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

I got a ticket north of Damascus. I was speeding, but did not know it. Most other areas with that density of homes was 40 and I was going 42. I misszed the speed sign.

I was used to cameras in Rockville and all had signs around them. Not this one. It fooled me.

I paid.

But they will never see me in Damascus again. And it was a spot I liked to stop and eat at, when on a drive.

Posted by: GaryEMasters | November 14, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

If the camera is going to activate at 47 then shouldn't the speed limit be 46?

Posted by: stuckintraffictoo | November 14, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

I hope that this camera enforcement will get drivers to slow down, especially where there are a good number of pedestrians present. If aggressive driving wasn't so rampant, maybe we wouldn't need speed cameras. But the fact is that too many drivers are speeding and endangering other drivers and pedestrians.

Posted by: RobertM468 | November 15, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RobertM468 | November 15, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

seriously, if you have to speed, how easy is it to keep under 47? that's a fair amount of leeway to avoid getting a ticket.

Posted by: YumYum1 | November 15, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Good news, I have to drive through college park twice a day and I can attest to how bad the drivers are. Hopefully cameras will make them more aware of their bad driving habits and deter such reckless and careless behavior.

Posted by: estuartj | November 15, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

That's pretty generous, giving drivers a 12 mph cushion. They set the speed limits for a reason, and they need to make sure they're enforced. People's safety depends on it.

Posted by: DonoMan65 | November 15, 2010 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DonoMan65 | November 15, 2010 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DonoMan65 | November 15, 2010 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Having lived in an area with speed cameras, I think drivers will be pleasantly surprised how much these cameras actually help and how little impact they have on you if you are a responsible driver.

Posted by: wilson78 | November 16, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse