Posted at 2:22 PM ET, 05/17/2010

CSI: Scoop the poop

By Washington Post editors

The residents of Scarlett Place, a condominium near the Inner Harbor in Baltimore, are calling out the dogs. Or maybe in this case they're calling them in.

The Baltimore Sun reports that the residents of the condo have become so fed up that someone has failed to pick up after their dog that they're considering mandated DNA tests for every dog in the building.

Under the proposal, the canine residents of the condo -- and their canine visitors -- would be swabbed for a DNA sample. Of course DNA testing comes at a price: Owners would have to pay $50 to cover the test and supplies -- for each pooch. Then there's the extra $10 per month per dog that owners would have to dish out to have someone pick up a sample and send it to a lab for testing.

And if it turns out that your dog did the doo-doo, cough up $500.

It should come as no surprise that the proposal has led to some interesting back-and-forth.

"It's absolutely ridiculous," resident Richard Hopp tells the Sun. "I feel like I'm living in a 'Seinfeld' episode."

The condo board will decide what to do at a Wednesday hearing.

By Washington Post editors  | May 17, 2010; 2:22 PM ET
Categories:  Maryland  | Tags:  baltimore, inner harbor, pooper scooper, scarlett place
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Preservation Virginia releases annual list
Next: Fire causes flight delays at Reagan Airport

Comments

As a former condo board president, I have to say your board has way too much time on their hands. Too bad they don't have the common sense to go with it. They are in a city with an abudance of dogs all around them. What you are doing is taxing pet owners. If it is that much of an issue, rewrite your by-laws to prohibit dog ownership in the future. My guess is that it would not change the situation that much.

Our condos paid out a lot more to repair vandalism by kids. It's just part of the cost of doing business.

Posted by: Frustratededucator | May 17, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

good luck getting accurate DNA from poop...

Posted by: bmp246 | May 17, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just hire someone to come scoop the poop?!

Posted by: CapHillCW | May 17, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure what amazes me more, that the Post is so stupid that it had nothing better to report on or that there are people this stupid running loose in our society that they'd propose such a silly thing.

Posted by: VAtrailerTrash | May 17, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

No, it wouldn't be cheaper to hire someone. People who have dogs have a responsibility to take care of them. That includes picking up doodoodoody.

My neighbor is an a-hole who doesn't do this. My dog has gotten coccidia because of this guy's dog. It stays and when it rains, the parasite sits in puddles and when we step on it, bam, my dog is going to get infected if she licks her paw. I have to wash her paws whenever we come home.

I hate irresponsible people.

Posted by: FiatBooks | May 18, 2010 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Employ video cameras and then have a poop strike force when any matter exceeding the outdoor temperature is left on the ground more than 30 seconds, a siren goes off and they apprehend owner and dog and impound them.
Must scrub toilets in jail for 10 days.

Posted by: keithlb28 | May 18, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

I can hear the dog's lawyer: "If the sh-- don't fit, you must acquit." America is a great country!

Posted by: CubsFan | May 18, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse