Posted at 4:18 PM ET, 01/11/2011

Police ID elderly couple found dead in Md.

By Associated Press

The Frederick County Sheriff’s Office has identified an elderly Pennsylvania couple who died from apparent exposure in a farm field near Jefferson.

Cpl. Jennifer Bailey said Tuesday the remains are those of 85-year-old William Fresch and 79-year-old Betty Fresch of Shippensburg, Pa.

Shippensburg police say they were last seen leaving their daughter’s home in Mechanicsburg, Pa., on Friday.

Bailey says the couple drove off Gene Hemp Road into the ravine and got stuck. She says they started walking and apparently succumbed to the cold weather.

She says a passer-by found the bodies Tuesday morning.

Autopsies will be done by the state medical examiner’s office in Baltimore.

Elderly couple apparently froze in Md. field
2:11 p.m.
The Frederick County Sheriff’s Office says an elderly Pennsylvania couple have been found dead from apparent exposure in a farm field near Jefferson.

Cpl. Jennifer Bailey says a passer-by found the bodies of the man and woman Tuesday morning after noticing a vehicle in a ravine off Gene Hemp Road.

She says they were reported missing over the weekend from Shippensburg, Pa.

Police are withholding their names pending notification of family members.

Bailey says the couple drove off the roadway into the ravine and got stuck. She says they started walking and apparently succumbed to the cold weather.

Autopsies will be done by the state medical examiner’s office in Baltimore.

By Associated Press  | January 11, 2011; 4:18 PM ET
Categories:  Maryland
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Car explosion in Arlington
Next: Person rescued from grain tank in Md.

Comments

they never should have been driving at that age.

Posted by: SofaKingCool2009 | January 11, 2011 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Not the way to go, but they went together. Families often need to lovingly take the keys away even when there is resistance. That was clearly true here.

Posted by: faygokid | January 11, 2011 8:54 PM | Report abuse

So I suppose younger people don't slip into ditches from time-to-time. To assume that these folks were bad drivers is unfair and unfounded. They had an accident. I wish they would have used a cell phone (did they have one?) to call for help. RIP Mr. and Mrs. Fresch.

Posted by: georgereston | January 11, 2011 10:02 PM | Report abuse

i agree with one of the earlier posters. 85 is too old to be driving.

Posted by: changingfaces | January 11, 2011 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Who said the 85 year old was driving? Maybe the wife was driving. People make a lot of assumptions (about a lot of things) and just run with their often times mistaken assumptions.

Posted by: sickofit3 | January 12, 2011 7:50 AM | Report abuse

---------------------

It's not the fact that they had an accident or drove into a ditch...it's that they were 60 miles off course and apparently didn't realize where they were. The place they were found is a long way from either Shippensburg or Mechanicsburg PA. They were confused and continued to drive without stopping to ask for information / diections. At some point family needs to consider the ramifications of allowing eldely parents to make long trips regardless of how many times they have made the same trip. I have been through similar situations with my parents and finally our family took the keys away. Most elderly people don't want to lose their freedom to drive, but these decisions must be made so that scenarios like this don't get repeated.

Posted by: whataboutfreedom | January 12, 2011 10:14 AM | Report abuse

---------------------

Posted by: whataboutfreedom | January 12, 2011 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Sorry about the double post:)

Posted by: whataboutfreedom | January 12, 2011 10:25 AM | Report abuse

This is such a sad story. I live in south central PA and the trip from Mechanicsburg to Ship should have taken no more than 30 to 40 minutes.
Whoever was driving was well over an hour south of Ship.
I don't know what the right answer is as each situation is different. But from my experience elderly parents don't want to be a "burden" to their children.
When my mother in law was living with us but was getting dangerous behind the wheel my wife started to "help" with scheduling appointments etc. Then she'd make it lunch or shopping "while they were out" so mom didn't see it as inconveniencing her daughter.
It worked really well and took a lot of the emotion out of the situation.

Posted by: BigDaddy651 | January 12, 2011 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Why do we have to get old?

Posted by: TaxiDriver | January 12, 2011 11:47 AM | Report abuse

It's the daughter's fault for not exercising better judgment about the welfare of her parents. I hope the daughter's overcome by guilt.

Posted by: rpcv84 | January 12, 2011 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Why do we have to get old?

Posted by: TaxiDriver | January 12, 2011 11:47 AM | Report abuse

____________________________
There is no regulation or obligation that you must "get old." You have the right to assure you do not reach old age. Exercise it.

Posted by: rpcv84 | January 12, 2011 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Sorry about the double post:)

Posted by: whataboutfreedom | January 12, 2011 10:25 AM | Report abuse

_____________________________
You only need to click the submit icon once!!

Posted by: rpcv84 | January 12, 2011 1:27 PM | Report abuse

rpcv84 wrote:

The only thing you know is that they were last seen leaving their daughter's house. They may have made that same trip many times with no issues. You do not know any other circumstances, yet you wish such an awful thing for their daughter. Do you not think losing her parents will be hard enough for her? Maybe you have Karma to look forward to.

Posted by: ctree | January 12, 2011 2:03 PM | Report abuse

@ Posted by: rpcv84

you are an ass with no sense of propriety.

but you are correct!

Posted by: Section107 | January 12, 2011 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I would want my keys unless someone has the time to drive me all over the place or I could move near a pedestrian friendly area. I guess a frozen nowhere with my wife is better than a nursing home. Rest in Peace.

Posted by: jercha | January 12, 2011 3:04 PM | Report abuse

The death of this elderly couple is a sad end to a Sunday drive, and condolences to their family members. This article is a reminder to anyone who has elderly family members driving to monitor their cognitive abilities to see if they should still be driving. My parents are 69 and 76 and I do pay attention in case there are any warning signs (I live close by). So far they are fine, thankfully.

This poor couple didn't think to go back to the road and wait for a passing driver to see them. They just wandered around a field. Maybe neither one of them should have been driving anywhere. I guess the one consolation is that they died together, may they rest in peace.

Posted by: CAmira5 | January 12, 2011 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CAmira5 | January 12, 2011 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rpcv84 | January 12, 2011 1:20 PM | Report abuse

**************************

I am sure she does..but may life continue to afford you the opportunity for absolute innocence in every decision you are directly or indirectly involved with. Idiot.

Posted by: eaglechik | January 12, 2011 4:01 PM | Report abuse