Posted at 2:14 PM ET, 08/18/2010

Foot-long splinter pierces Md. boy

By Washington Post editors

Firefighters in Rocky Ridge, Md., say an 8-year-old boy has been hospitalized after a nearly foot-long wooden splinter pierced his lower abdomen as he went headfirst down a giant, homemade slide.

Second Assistant Fire Chief Luke Humerick Jr. said Wednesday he used a utility knife to cut the splinter from the board on which the boy was pinned, halfway down the 40-foot slide.

Humerick says the boy was in good spirits when he was taken Tuesday to the Children's National Medical Center in Washington with the splinter still inside him. His condition wasn't immediately available.

The slide, known as the Big Wooden Slide, is owned by Mount Tabor Lutheran and United Church of Christ in Rocky Ridge.

By Washington Post editors  | August 18, 2010; 2:14 PM ET
Categories:  Maryland
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: UMd. reopens Campus Drive
Next: Zoning fees to increase in D.C.

Comments

"I'm a lawyer and I have first dibs on representing this boy."

Algonquin J. Calhoun, Esq.

Posted by: kinkysr | August 18, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

How tacky!! Why would someone post something like this I'm a lawyer I have first dibs? Sick people out here! I forgot this is the Post it's full of crazies.

Posted by: MsSexy4Life | August 18, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Not if we get there first

Dewey, Cheatum and How LLC

Posted by: BEEPEE | August 18, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Very ingenious @ BEEPEE.... I actually LOL'd...

Posted by: ReflectionofLyfe | August 18, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Now that was a bright idea! Make a SLIDE out of WOOD. Seriously?! Plastic or metal, please. You have too much friction during use to risk making one out of wood. Geniuses, I tell ya...

Posted by: CyanSquirrel | August 18, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

What is it about Christians getting hung up on wood? Jeez...

Posted by: telecomic | August 19, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Google the "big wooden slide" - it actually looks like a lot of fun for kids. You're supposed to go down on a piece of carpet...

I'm sure this will be the end of it though.

Posted by: dude7 | August 19, 2010 8:44 AM | Report abuse

I think the slide was built in 1950. They'll just try to repair it and hope the same thing doesn't happen again. The lord will provide ...

Posted by: blackforestcherry | August 19, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

How horrible. I feel bad for the child and hope he can recover both physically and mentally from what must of been a really scary and horrific incident.

Posted by: MarilynManson | August 19, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

@ ReflectionofLyfe

Ingenious?!?

The Three Stooges used to tell that joke! That's how old it is! It's actually

DEWEY
CHEATHAM
&
HOWE

Ah Youngsters!

What was once old is new again!

Posted by: whatyoutalkinboutman | August 19, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

This is a historic slide that I have cherished memories of utlizing as a kid.
the surface is quite fast, espeically with burlap sacks. At first it seems almost too fast, but as one gets older-fast enough. I also understand the injury was not as bad as reported.

Posted by: cynder7 | August 19, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

This is a historic slide that I have cherished memories of utlizing as a kid.

Posted by: cynder7 | August 19, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Accidents happen - the slide is kept in good condition. I hope the kid is ok, and is ready to ride again, when the slide has been repaired.

Dewey Cheatham & Howe. Thanks for the morning chuckle.

Posted by: Greent | August 19, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

I'd say this classifies more as an accident, and either way once Ms. Washington argues to sue over this accident, and she receives $10,000.00 for her son's pain they will be alright.

Posted by: ursofakingdumb1 | August 19, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse