Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
Posted at 9:51 AM ET, 02/26/2010

Group home evacuated after furnace malfunction

By Washington Post editors

Five occupants of a group home in Montgomery County were taken to a hospital Friday morning after an oil furnace malfunctioned in their basement, officials said. Three of them suffered from smoke inhalation, but all the injuries were considered non-life threatening, said Capt Oscar Garcia, a spokesman for the Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service.

There were a total of eight occupants inside the home, all elderly, Garcia said. The remaining three were taken to a nearby facility.

Firefighters were called to the home, in the 13400 block of Clifton Road, in Colesville, shortly after 7:30 a.m. A total of 60 firefighters eventually were on the scene. On the way, one of them saw a school bus that had completed its run, and commandeered it, figuring they would need a wheelchair lift, Garcia said.

The group home occupants were placed inside the bus while firefighters took care of the smoke. The home wasn’t badly damaged, Garcia said.

-- Dan Morse

By Washington Post editors  | February 26, 2010; 9:51 AM ET
Categories:  Maryland  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Outage forces Alexandria students to move
Next: Skateboarder hanging onto firetruck gets run over

Comments

now that is thinking on the firefighters part....give that dude a raise.

Posted by: SofaKingCool2009 | February 26, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

The comments to this entry are closed.

 
 
RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2011 The Washington Post Company