Posted at 11:28 AM ET, 08/ 4/2010

Md. mom jailed for expired license plates

By Washington Post editors

A Kensington woman was arrested and jailed in D.C. for driving with expired license plates, Fox 5 reports.

Nycci Nellis says she was pulled over by a police officer on Military Road about 6:45 p.m. last Thursday. She said the officer pulled her from her car, handcuffed her and took her to the Second District police station. Nellis said she was later taken to central booking downtown.

Police said officers are advised to write a ticket if license plates are expired by only a few days, but if a motorist has been driving for a substantial period of time an arrest is made.

Nellis' plates had been expired for three months.

By Washington Post editors  | August 4, 2010; 11:28 AM ET
Categories:  Maryland, Traffic and Transportation
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Woman stabs another in Chinatown
Next: AA County Exec.: Investigate dog shooting

Comments

Let's see, a guy with multiple DUI's is out there driving, and eventually kills someone; and this woman goes to jail for expired plates. What a system.

Posted by: jckdoors | August 4, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

LOL...illegals get arrested and THEN they get released. I'm sure this lady will get released as well. Oh wait, her name isn't Sanchez or Iglesias or somesuch. Sorry lady, yer screwed. You see....you're here LEGALLY, which means the legal system will screw you over all DAY! Enjoy citizen! :-(

Posted by: stinkyliberals | August 4, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

These police officers need to be somewhere fighting crime. Give the lady a ticket, call a tow truck.
During that arrest, i'm sure someone somewhere, was getting assaulted, robbed, burglarized, etc.
This was just a way to shorten their day.

Posted by: Hlynchmaster | August 4, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

The police in the 2nd District don't fight crime there ... they're too "bourgoise" for that ... they just wait for strangers to ride through their neighborhood and arrest them ... what a crock.

Posted by: alligator10 | August 4, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

if only DC had the death penalty, this woman could of been up before a firing squad.

I mean really, is there any crime more heinous then failing to mail a check?

Posted by: MarilynManson | August 4, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

It is another way to generate revenue for the city.. see, she gets arrested and booked which means she gets the citation then, because she is arrested, the car gets towed ($$$) adn then Impounded ($$$$$). They never tell you where the car was taken so it takes a day or two or three to fins out, by then, you are paying storage fees ($$$). Of course, since her tags are expired, she is not allowed to drive the car out, it needs to be towed or she need to get it up to date ($$$$).

Posted by: rvanags | August 4, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

I knew a MPD cop that pulled over a woman because of expired tags arrested her took her to booking just like this woman, just so he could hit on her.

Posted by: Redial1 | August 4, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Give the political rants a rest.
Police say this is their policy. None of you know this is or is not correct. Recall that this is also potentially connected to insurance, as you need proof of that in order to renew. So there are valid reasons to want someone like that off the road. Finally, she got a reminder well before the license expired. She knowingly ignored her legal obligations for at least 5 months. I don't know about you, but I obey the law, and I don't like feeble excuses for people who choose not to.

Posted by: krickey7 | August 4, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

What??!! That's ridiculous, I've forgotten to update my plates, and yes, been pulled over. But I had to go to court and prove that I had renewed them. Getting arrested is wayyyyy over the top, and an abuse of power. Oh wait, it's DC. It doesn't have to make sense.

Posted by: fluxgirl | August 4, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

@krickey7- Thank you. It is always a pleasant surprise to see someone post common sense while others use it as their personal space to rant for the sake of ranting.

Simple facts: expired tags over 90 days (i.e. noticably more than 30); law and policy dictate police have the authority. Don't like the laws? Contact your legislators, otherwise zip it. One more thing to consider not even mentioned...were the tags the reason for pulling her over, or were there other mitigating circumstances? All the facts should be presented before crying foul. If anything I find it more humorous than outrageous.

Posted by: devilsadvocate3 | August 4, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

As far as I'm concerned, driving is a PRIVELEGE. If people don't know hot comply w/ the law, they get what they get. Might encourage more folks to make sure they are CURRENT. If not, than deal w/ the inconvenience of tickets, JAIL, &/or whatever else. Again, compliance... CHECK INTO IT.

Posted by: The_Funknician | August 4, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fluxgirl

OK, same scenario, except the car has two black or hispanic males in it. Now do you feel the same? Opinion totally changes from they overreacted to lock em up.

Posted by: ged0386 | August 4, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

I have stated this over and over til I'm blue in the face...DC police spend far more time trying to "enforce" traffic laws than they do trying to catch murders, robbers ect. I one got pulled over for failing to signal. They had me waiting for 20 minutes until they allowed me to go with a ticket. But during that same time, someone was shot and killed not 3 blocks a way.

Posted by: eruveygarcia | August 4, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Too much time spent on petty things and not enough spent stopping murders, robbing, assaults.

Posted by: eruveygarcia | August 4, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

While the laws of the land needs to be upheld. That was a bit extream to arrest someone for expired tags. I agree that DC spends alot of time enforcing Parking, and ticketing, but that's their revenue sorce. It's a shame that only the high profile crimes get the attention from the police that's required. I'm not here to judge the city, because the law is the law, however I think that was extream.

Posted by: tyionmiller | August 4, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tyionmiller | August 4, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Assuming that the only problem was the expired tags it seems a tad extreme to arrest the woman. I'm sure that the officer had the authority to do so but there are times when it is better to refrain from utilizing the full extent of one's authority in favor of exercising a little discretion. I would be interested in hearing the officer's side of the story which, unfortunately, is not told in the article.

Posted by: sinenomine | August 4, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

There has to be more to this story than what was printed.

Posted by: gladiatorgal | August 4, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

WOW! Go cops. Really protecting us out there. Really earning that Pension and Extreme Tax Payer Footing the bill benefits/gas money.

Screw the police. Honestly, they disgust me.

Posted by: FiatBooks | August 4, 2010 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Nobody is saying that this woman didn't break the law. Far from it, she should have had her car towed and been given a citation. That would have been punishment enough, but arrested? Ridiculous. Meanwhile, we have drunken and impaired drivers ruling the road and the law is impotent as to what to do with them until they kill someone. So for all you commentators who what to see this woman crucified and burned at the stake for driving with expired tags, get real. The cops need to focus on the real criminals out there. (Besides, by the time she paid all the fines she would remember next time to get her tags on time!)

Posted by: slang53979 | August 4, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse