Posted at 12:30 PM ET, 09/17/2010

Md. voter turnout lowest on record

By Washington Post editors

Despite six days of early voting opportunities, voter turnout in Maryland's primary appears to have been the lowest on record.

The Maryland State Board of Elections Thursday reported unofficial polling place turnout to be about 24 percent.

The board said turnout was 21.6 percent on Election Day. Only 2.4 percent of voters cast ballots in early voting, which took place in Maryland for the first time. The turnout numbers do not include provisional or absentee voters.

Montgomery County had the lowest turnout with only 18 percent. Garrett County in western Maryland had the highest percentage turnout with nearly 40 percent.

The lowest previous turnout was in the 1996 primary, when 25 percent of registered voters came to the polls. The board's turnout records go back to 1982.

-- Associated Press

By Washington Post editors  | September 17, 2010; 12:30 PM ET
Categories:  Maryland
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fenty wins! (As a GOP write-in)
Next: Currie enters not-guilty pleas

Comments

maryland voters are no more apathetic than most in the nation but like many states maryland does not allow voters to vote outside party lines..as long as 70per of registered voters are democrate maryland will always have a low voter turnout...republicans have no shot...and thats too bad

Posted by: wmnatzakanian | September 17, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

I'm not registered as a Democrat, thus I feel no need to waste my time voting in primaries.

Posted by: futbolclif | September 17, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

If I had a choice other than the "Usual Democrat Party Suspects" I might have voted.

But nobody ran that had any honesty and integrity, and I was not going to encourage the a@@holes we currently have!

Posted by: cibor | September 17, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cibor | September 17, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Since the results of Maryland Democratic Primaries equate to the general election, many voters who are Independent (like me) are excluded from the electoral process. And the result is always, more of the same.

Posted by: PracticalIndependent | September 17, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse