Posted at 8:40 AM ET, 05/13/2010

Pit bull attacks off-duty cop

By Washington Post editors

Isaiah Harrison, a police officer with the Federal Reserve, was walking 17-month-old Little Stewie, his 11-pound Yorkshire terrier-poodle mix, near his home in Ellicott City on Sunday when a pit bull appeared in front of them and attacked, The Baltimore Sun reports.

Stewie was paralyzed — and later euthanized — and Harrison was injured when the unleashed pit bull attacked around 3 p.m. Harrison, a police officer with the Federal Trade Board in Washington, needed 45 stitches to close a wound to his right hand, which could require surgery.

According to Howard County police, It was the 38th incident this year in which Animal Control had to be called because of a bite, with 90 percent of them involving dogs. It is believed to be the first in the county this year involving a pit bull, a police spokeswoman said.

The county has a law requiring dog owners to keep their pets on leashes when outside the house. Because the investigation is continuing, police declined to identify the dog's owner but said that the owner came in to Animal Control on Wednesday to surrender the animal. The pit bull will be euthanized once rabies tests are completed.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

By Washington Post editors  | May 13, 2010; 8:40 AM ET
Categories:  Maryland  | Tags:  Pit Bull
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: GWU goes 'green' for graduation
Next: Traffic delays on Rte. 1 in Howard

Comments

I am so sick of people who have no business having dogs owning them and breeding them. They don't buy licenses and they dump the dogs on society in shelters.

Enough is enough. Dogs are for people with decent earnings. Tax payers are having a hard enough time paying for education! I hate pit bull culture. I love pit bulls. I'm sorry for what happened to this man and his sweet dog.

Posted by: FiatBooks | May 13, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

I do like the fact that at 38 reported bites/attacks this is the first pitbull attack (reported) this year... it does prove to the narrow minded out there that its not just pitbulls that attack and bite. I have one and in 10 years, no bites, attacks etc... I am a responsible owner and have read on the breed and learned the right way to raise my dog and not just bought it because it was cool (I actually saved it from being put down because it was born pitbull)

Posted by: rvanags | May 13, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

I'm trying to think what would really scare me more, a pit bull or policeman walking his poodle with his gun......

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | May 13, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

That's one expensive pit bull, his owner will be paying off the legal settlement for years. I'd sue him into oblivion.

Posted by: savethepcbs | May 13, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Where are the articles on the 37 other biting incidents? In other words, why is a dog bite newsworthy only when a pit bull is involved.

Last year, a dog was on the national news for taking two bullets from somebody who tried to bust in the house when one of the family members answered the door. The dog was clearly a pit bull, but the headline was "Dog Saves Family." If that same dog had bitten somebody, it would have been "Pit Bull Bit Somebody."

You so-called journalists should be ashamed. I thought objectivity was supposed to be a hallmark of good journalism. What's objective about only reporting dog bites from one dog breed out of hundreds.

Posted by: dc_res30 | May 13, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

dc-res30,
Look at this positively, the news source made it clear that this was the first pit bull attack this year. I have seen small city papers talk about a dog attack and it is obvious that no one knows the type of dog but the news source states "pit bull like dog attacked . . ." It is so sad for the pit bull breed because most people who don't know much about dogs just assume all the press stories represent what is happening out there. I have a 60 lb pit bull and 10 lb maltese at home and the maltese tries to bite the pit bull. The pit bull is actually afraid of the maltese, who would have thought?

Posted by: Sarah281 | May 13, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Please go to "People For The Ethical Treatment Of Pit Bulls". (google it). You will see another side to this dog. The photographs are disturbing but they are real. I pity the police officer but the pit bull truly is getting a bad rap. Thanks.

Posted by: cliffdonovan | May 13, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse