Posted at 6:02 AM ET, 02/12/2010

Postal Service pleads for access to mailboxes

By Michael Bolden

With Valentine’s Day just two delivery days away, the U.S. Postal Service is asking customers to clear away the snow from around mailboxes and their front porches so that mail and package deliveries can be made today.

Mail carriers will once again attempt deliveries across the region on Friday, as they did on Thursday.

Post offices will open as staffing allows. Customers are urged to check www.USPS.com for status updates.

-- Ed O'Keefe

By Michael Bolden  | February 12, 2010; 6:02 AM ET
Categories:  DC, Maryland, Virginia
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Metro to expand rail service
Next: Mother gets 26 years in abuse, slaying of adoptive daughter

Comments

Maybe the post office will actually have to walk parts of their routes. I've seen mailboxes packed in by snow plows - makes it very difficult to shovel out completely. It wouldn't hurt for the post office to make some extra efforts too - doubt that will happen.

Posted by: jaimegrl | February 12, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Snow plows have left a pile of snow and ice about eight feet tall, and at least that wide, in front of my mailbox. Think I'm clearing it? Think I can?

Posted by: bucephalina | February 12, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Get your lazy butts out there and shovel out your mailbox. Stop whining about snow plows and such. What snivlers!! It's snow, for goodness sake, not the Great Wall of China.

Posted by: Menidia | February 12, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Postal Service has not showed up at my door since last Friday. Yes - the way to my mailbox is clear - and has been.

Posted by: fredcorgi1 | February 12, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Fred, likewise. Called USPS, and they didn't have anything, no answer at my Post Office. UGH. I have bills and documents waiting to be mailed and received. I'll keep my fingers crossed for today.

Oh, and by the way, I live in an apt. building with indoor mailboxes, and our sidewalks have been cleared promptly.

Posted by: jennthehen | February 12, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Live on a small street with 4 houses off a larger main street of our "new" development. mailman is so lazy he drives down the street and does an "Austin Powers" 20 point turn to turn around, instead of walking to the 4 houses. I watch him every day. Alas, I haven't seen him for the past 7 days...

If this isn't a sign of sheer laziness, I don't know what is. And yes, all of our mailboxes are clear.

Posted by: fredsfavefan | February 12, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Who cares about mail? Most of what these mail carriers--most of whom do not speak English--just bring us a bunch of dreck anyway.

Posted by: FridayKnight | February 12, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

LOL@FridayKnight

Posted by: Ward4DC | February 12, 2010 10:48 PM | Report abuse

No mail delivery for 8 days, although on Tues., Thurs., and Fri. our street has been clear (Kemp Mill area/20902). Many people have shoveled out their mailboxes, so what's the excuse? Seems like media coverage (e.g., the Post!!) of mail delivery problem has fallen into a black hole as there have been few stories on this compared to all the tired out "running out of toilet paper" stories out there.

Posted by: wisehands | February 13, 2010 3:20 AM | Report abuse

Follow up to previous post .... just went to USPS web site .... USPS announced that they were going to deliver mail on Thurs. and Fri. Only problem is, they didn't!! Come on Post, help the public out and put some heat on these guys!

Posted by: wisehands | February 13, 2010 3:29 AM | Report abuse

I cleared a path to my mailbox. Then the town's plows came along one more time, widening the usable part of the road by maybe a foot - and completely filling in the path to my mailbox with a couple of feet of plowed snow.

Posted by: rt42 | February 13, 2010 6:17 AM | Report abuse