Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
Posted at 2:01 PM ET, 07/29/2010

Pr. Geo's house fire after return of power

By Washington Post editors

Prince George's Fire and EMS are warning residents who may still be without power following Sunday's thunderstorms to unplug all electrical power following a house fire in Oxon Hill Wednesday.

Official said they were called to a house in the 5600 block of Miles Drive just after 3 p.m.. The house had been without electrical power since Sunday. But about 5-10 minutes after power was restored Wednesday, residents noticed smoke in the home and called 911.

Firefighters arrived to find the heavy smoke and fire on the first floor.

The occupants of the house were able to get out without injury, however, two firefighters were taken to the Burn Unit with minor burns and one firefighter went to the hospital suffering from exhaustion.

Officials believe the fire began with the restoring of electrical power. Damage to the house is estimated at $200,000; seven adults and three children have been displaced.

By Washington Post editors  | July 29, 2010; 2:01 PM ET
Categories:  Maryland  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Silence can yield $$: 5 great blogs
Next: More outages, downed trees possible

No comments have been posted to this entry.

The comments to this entry are closed.

 
 
RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2011 The Washington Post Company