Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
Posted at 2:37 PM ET, 01/13/2010

Prince George's mobilizing to help Haiti

By Washington Post editors

Prince George’s County officials announced Wednesday that they were mobilizing a team of about 15 firefighters, paramedics, building inspectors and engineers to deploy to Haiti if the U.S. State Department gave the word.

Vernon Herron, director of the county’s office of homeland security, said the financially strapped county would put up its own money to send support if need be.

“If in fact we have to do that, we’ll do that,” Herron said. “The county exec ..... he’s committed to doing this.”

In a statement, County Executive Jack B. Johnson said: “We must help the people of Haiti in their time of need.” He said a “comprehensive” assistance plan should be readied by Thursday.

The county has previously sent aid workers to assist during Hurricane Katrina and to Florida during a wildfire emergency, but this would be the first international aid mission of the Johnson administration and possibly in county history, Herron said.

--Jonathan Mummolo

By Washington Post editors  | January 13, 2010; 2:37 PM ET
Categories:  Maryland  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Obama cancels event in Lanham
Next: Wednesday's PM news roundup

No comments have been posted to this entry.

The comments to this entry are closed.

 
 
RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2011 The Washington Post Company