Posted at 4:52 AM ET, 07/ 8/2010

Suspect exchanges gunfire with D.C. police

By Mike McPhate

This post was updated at 9:21 a.m.

crime

A male suspect is on the run after he exchanged gunfire with one or more police officers early Thursday near the D.C.-Maryland border, police said.

The suspect fired first in the Northeast Washington confrontation sometime before 2 a.m., police said. He then fled on foot into Prince George's County near the vicinity of 61st and Eastern avenues, Cpl. Mike Rodriguez, a spokesman for the Prince George's County Police Department, said.

It was not yet clear what sparked the incident.

Dozens of police officers were canvassing the area under darkness of the pre-dawn hours and a canine unit was seeking to pick up the suspect's trail, police said.

-- Mike McPhate

Note: Please upgrade your Flash plug-in to view our enhanced content.

Locator map

Police searching for suspect

By Mike McPhate  | July 8, 2010; 4:52 AM ET
Categories:  Crime and Public Safety, DC, Maryland
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Va. man charged with assault, abduction
Next: Day 3 of outages: More than 1,500 affected

Comments

Posted by: candycane1 | July 8, 2010 7:38 AM | Report abuse

candycane1 wrote: Crime rate going down? Lately they seem to be making up for lost time. I'd like to hear the statistics now.
==========================================
The cops would just manipulate the statistics to make it look like crime is decreasing so they'll look good...as they always do.

Posted by: checkered1 | July 8, 2010 8:11 AM | Report abuse

Sure they do. They hide all those dead bodies to make it look like the murder rate has gone down.

Posted by: MKadyman | July 8, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Maybe people are tired of the abuses the Police commit on the citizens everyday in these cities across America. Screw the crime rate... It's all a fear mongering game anyway. He should have hit one or two... Hope they never catch him.

Posted by: mrmaye | July 8, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

I dont know were you guys live, but i live in ward 8 and go to work everyday. Sometimes you get tired of police being rude and disrespectful. Just because i live in ward 8 does not mean I'm a criminal. The same police that see me come home in dress cloths act diferent when I walk to the store in shorts and a t-shirt. they want to think your a criminal. Don't get mad when some people get upset.

Posted by: rlee4033 | July 8, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

K9 cop...best job in the world.

Posted by: 123cartoon | July 8, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

to mrmaye: How can you be so negative as to wish harm upon Police officers? My only guess is that you must be a criminal to think that way. Pathetic.

Posted by: Chazo | July 8, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

to chazo: I am not a criminal... I work for the feds... I am not pathetic. I see the abuses the police commit against our fellow citizens from day to day, from assaults that go unpunished, to killing unarmed, compliant suspects receiving paid leave only to return right back to the streets 2 weeks later, to assisting in armed robberies. Why don't you come out of Fantasyville and step into the real world. The police do these things all over America and maybe, just maybe people who are more intelligent than you will fight back and end the oppression of this newly created police state.

Posted by: mrmaye | July 8, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

mrmaye - I don'y know what type of dirtbag you are, but I hope they subpoena your email address from this paper and then your ISP and find you. You do not deserves to hold any position in the government.

Posted by: madmike272 | July 8, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mrmaye | July 8, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

mrmaye--Kudos to you for speaking out against the fascist attitude of "If you don't agree with those in power, you must be a criminal"

madmike272--little thing called freedom of speech, look it up. If you would rather live somewhere that didn't allow or encourage people to question authority, move to Iran!

Posted by: BurtReynolds1 | July 8, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

MrMaye said..

"To madmike272: I am the type of dirtbag that gets up every morning at 6AM to make it to work by 9AM and get off work at 5PM and make it home at 7PM to spend less than 2 hours a day with my kids due to the commute. I am the type of dirtbag that enjoys my job so people like you can enjoy the freedoms of being able to make silly, unfounded, preposterous comments about people you don't even know. I am the type of dirtbag that is not a sheep in this game where the wolf is referee. So continue to walk through life and believe whatever the media, govt and police tell you and you will have a nice meaningless life like all the other sheep who follow blindly into the wolves' den.
-----------------------------
I am in law enforcement in Wash DC and I am the type of officer who looks forward going to work each day to protect the victims of crime in this city. I arrest people for violating the law, period. I don't live in a fantasy world and know there are some bad apples. There are many, many more officers in DC and elsewhere who put their lives on the line everyday. If it is true you work for the "Feds", I hope you are working hard to shed light on the ones that bring a bad name to the line of work I love to do. I find it offensive you are saddened that the officers were not killed. I think it shows a lot more about your character than anyone else here.

Posted by: robostop10 | July 8, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

mrmaye, I also work for the federal government here and find your comments laughable. You mention your horrible commute to work an 8-hour/day job. Guess what? Other federal employees aren't sympathetic. We all have a hard commute, alright? And there are many days where I work 10 or 11 hrs--without ANY overtime pay. Some of us just don't feel the need to announce it to the rest of the world!

More fundamentally, though, if you sincerely believe we live in a "police state", then why the f--k do you work in the federal government? Practically all the investigations the federal gov't conducts involve the police and other law enforcement agencies like ATF, DEA and the FBI. If you are so morally outraged by the federal government, then why don't you just resign your job out of principle and go work in the private sector?

Mrmaye, I have colleagues here just like you: people who have this love-hate relationship with the government. You hate it because it is supposedly 'so abusive' to us, but you suppress your anger for the nice, stable paycheck and benefits you get from it. Way to sell your beliefs out for money.

Trust me, you have no f-ing idea what a police state is if you haven't lived in a country that actually is one. A vacation doesn't count. Don't expect us to feel bad for you, especially when you're a moral hypocrite. Nice life.

Posted by: eych | July 8, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

mrmaye is a total scumbag. He's basically saying, if a cop hits a guy in Texas, then a cop in DC must atone for the sin. His logic is flawed and I personally think he's lying about working for the feds. He's trying to gleam some integrity by associating himself with something better than he'll ever aspire to be. I believe someone has a few shortcomings in their life they want to blame other people for. A pathetic, childish malcontent.

Posted by: DCobserver | July 8, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse