Posted at 1:00 PM ET, 09/22/2010

Teens racing injured in Pr. Geo's accident

By Washington Post editors

After the crash. (Pr. George's Fire/EMS)

Two two teens seriously hurt in a car crash Wednesday morning were racing when they lost control of their car and veered into oncoming traffic, police said.

Sgt. Michelle Reedy, a spokesman for the Prince George's County Police Department, said the teens -- who were students an area high school -- were racing another car when they approached a curve on Powder Mill Road. They lost control and struck a car in oncoming traffic, Reedy said. The car they were racing sped away, she said.

One of the teens was ejected and the other was trapped, Reedy said. Both sustained serious injuries but are expected to survive. Mark Brady, a fire department spokesman, said the driver of the car that was struck was also injured, but Reedy said those injuries were not believed to be serious.

The crash occurred just after 11 a.m. in the 3100 block of Powder Mill Road. Updates will be provided as they become available.

Stay with Postlocal.com for more details.

-- Matt Zapotosky

Teens injured in Pr. Geo.'s accident
12:01 p.m.

Prince George's County Fire and EMS is reporting that two teen males were injured Wednesday in a two-vehicle crash in the 3100 block of Powder Mill Road. The road has been closed.

Sgt. Michelle Reedy, a Prince George's police spokeswoman, said one of the victims was ejected and the other was trapped, but both are “expected to survive at this point.”

Updates will be provided as soon as they become available. Stay with Postlocal.com for more details.

This post has been updated since it was first published.

By Washington Post editors  | September 22, 2010; 1:00 PM ET
Categories:  Maryland
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Loudoun's new team? The Hounds
Next: Three more lion cubs born at the zoo

Comments

Glad to learn that the crash victims will live, but I'm troubled that at least one of the teens was not wearing a seatbelt. When will people, particularly boys and men, learn to always wear seatbelts? This could have be two teen deaths instead of serious injuries.

Posted by: brandip_77 | September 22, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

There is a pretty big underground street-racing culture in WDC greater area, and among Black young people, both motorcycles and cars. Perhaps the police in the various jurisdictions can get a handle on this rather than giving out reams of parking tickets? By the way, if the two injured teens were street racing, who were they racing against?

Posted by: wjc1va | September 22, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

How's the driver of the car they struck? I hope that driver and any passengers they may have had with them are ok. I hope the cops get the names of the other racers that left the scene of an accident they caused and that the racers are punished to the fullest extent of the law. I hope the innocent driver that was struck sues the s^!t out of the teens parental figures....if they have any!!

Posted by: 10bestfan | September 22, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

"We didn't see no racin'. We don't know nuthin'."

Posted by: williamhuxtan | September 22, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Aren't these bamas supposed to be in school?

Posted by: bs2004 | September 22, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Why weren't those teens sitting in class at school at 11:00 a.m.?

Posted by: Nghbrhdwatch | September 22, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Throw them in jail. Or the bottom of the Atlantic.

Posted by: yell53 | September 22, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

into incoming traffic, how many more people will be messed up or killed by idiots like these... put them in the slammer for at least 10 years....

Posted by: hotwheelsinsf | September 22, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

"We didn't see no racin'. We don't know nuthin'."

Posted by: williamhuxtan

did you see the car? It was a scion. Change your stereotypical slang to "I not see racing" or "no see racing holmes" may be more fitting or maybe "dude, we werent racing dude".

Posted by: ged0386 | September 22, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Put them away for life. Until people are penalized for bad behavior, we can only expect to see bad behavior. Simple economics. If you apply disincentives to the bad it will keep happening.

Posted by: password11 | September 22, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Take that Scion down to Capital Raceway and get clobbered legally.

Posted by: hungrypirana | September 22, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

I say survival of the fittest. I find this appropriate that this event occurred along the time when talk over distracted drivers, most notably teen drivers, are outraged that their rights may be ignored by possible new laws. Kids if you didn't make it so easy to criticize and judge yourselves on your peers stupid mistakes and judgment then it may be harder to not criticize. Teens, adults.... everyone should be held accountable of their vehicle when they are driving while distracted. Cars are now being built so safe that the excuse 'lost control' should not expressed in a story unless it's snowing outside and not a 85 degree school day in the fall. I'm a mid 30's white male and I would hope that if I made a stupid mistake like these kids someone would have the courage to stand up and make me a example of a zero-tolerance crime of being stupid instead of looking at me as a 'first time offender'. I know the difference between right and wrong and am man enough to face the music for my mistakes. And hopefully I do not affect a lives of any innocent person or bystander.

Posted by: cubs-n-colts-n-07 | September 22, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Passenger cut class from High Point after 2nd period to go cruising. Mistake. Driver not a student there.

Posted by: michael49 | September 22, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: michael49 | September 22, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Morons.

Posted by: abbeyroad | September 22, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

These teens should have either been in school or at work. I'm very glad to read no one died but they should have been doing something constructive instead of car racing. I hope they have to pay the innocent party they ran into so working takes them off the streets for a long time.

Posted by: skinfreak | September 22, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

"There is a pretty big underground street-racing culture in WDC greater area, and among Black young people, both motorcycles and cars."

Sorry, "white young people" don't have an "underground street-race culture" with both motorcycles and cars? Or it just isn't as big with them as it is with "black young people"?

I'm just trying to figure out if your comment is just blatantly sizeist or entirely racist. Either way it's probably irrelevant (like most comments on the WP) to this issue, as these were probably just two sets of kids racing home from a local school. You know, at 5pm on a weekday, on a well-traveled public road with rush-hour traffic.

Not some kind of "organized underground street race".

You know, the kind of thing that happens in NVa and MC on a regular basis.

Posted by: tokenwhitemale | September 22, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Causes of this accident (and way too many others):

Testosterone
Immaturity
Stupidity
Truancy

Put them in whatever order you wish.

Posted by: nan_lynn | September 22, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Its P.G. They will get a gaint slap on the wrist or found no-guilty by one of those P.G. juries. Not their fault, car defective, no father, some of the same old tired excuses black folk come up with to excuse the actions of these idiots kids we are raising. I know someone will say, but, white and other races do it too. Yea they do, but, no with zest and zill that our dumb ass kids do it act. It either takes a village or one of the idiots is not missing, they are running things

Posted by: phillipt | September 22, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

There are a dozen places along Powder Mill and Riggs Road that are "dead man's curves" and routinely have accidents occur on them. I've lived on one of them for the last 40 yrs and can expect to have 5-6 accidents in my front yard every month ranging from people simply skidding across my lawn, correcting and going on down the road to complete roll overs and deaths. I have 911 pretty programmed into my phone and know exactly how long it takes them to get out here. People need to slow down along this road. If people were to put up those little white cross shrines in my front yard for the people who've been killed here, I wouldn't have any yard to mow. Maybe I should do that sometime simply to get the point across to the idiots who constantly go past here doing 70 in a 30 mph zone.

Posted by: RazorGirl | September 22, 2010 7:07 PM | Report abuse

I know one of the teens from the accident and he is in the hospital still and there is a possibility that he will be in a wheelchair the rest of his life. From what i was told there were actually 5 kids in the car that was racing and that they fled the crime scene. Im not sure if it is true but thats what I heard from the teen family.

Posted by: xbettyboopx100 | September 26, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse