Posted at 10:50 AM ET, 12/ 1/2010

More changes to MoCo liquor laws?

By Washington Post editors

Wine enthusiasts might be able to bring a bottle of their favorite Bordeaux to their neighborhood bistro if BYOB legislation makes it to the state legislature this spring, the Gazette reports.

The proposal by Del. Brian J. Feldman (D-Montgomery) is modeled after a similar law in Washington, D.C., that Feldman says is stealing customers from Montgomery County restaurants. The BYOB proposal is one of several changes lawmakers are seeking to county liquor laws, among the most stringent in the country.

Feldman said he developed the legislation after restaurant owners told him they thought they were losing customers to the District and its BYOB laws. However, not all restaurateurs agree.

Read about Feldman's BYOB proposal in the Gazette.

By Washington Post editors  | December 1, 2010; 10:50 AM ET
Categories:  Maryland
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lori's A.M. Buzz: Got an emergency?
Next: United flight diverted due to odd smell

Comments

Good idea!

Posted by: 10bestfan | December 1, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

I've been living in MoCo for about 25 years, I love most everything about it. But the worse thing is the liquor laws here and in Maryland in general. I am a consumer of better quality wine, not the really high end stuff but mostly stuff in the $12-$25 price range. I purchase 95% of my wine in DC because of the draconian laws here. And I do travel into DC and frequent BYOB establishments - I can pair what I want more easily and even with a corkage fee, I spend less money. Here's to hoping for better laws and few kickbacks from the beer/wine/liquor lobby to our elected officials in Annapolis.

Posted by: bob_in_SS | December 1, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Moco: Home of Victorian Liberalism.

Posted by: boog44 | December 1, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

They are allowing BYOB just so they can create a corkage tax.

Posted by: pyoung66 | December 1, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

I know my county...They are allowing BYOB just so they can create a corkage tax.

Posted by: pyoung66 | December 1, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

As a resident of MoCo, I agree with the sale of liquor on Sundays. All the other sourounding counties with the exception of PG has it. In terms of the BYOB law, I think it's absurd. MoCo have a much better wine selection than most of the surrounding states. They can't continue to compare themselves to Washington, DC which is a city. But MoCo can go up against any county in terms of wine selection. All they have to do is expand the wine selection in MoCo.

Posted by: monicasilver11 | December 1, 2010 6:21 PM | Report abuse