Posted at 5:28 PM ET, 01/13/2011

WSSC proposes rate hike

By Katherine Shaver

Montgomery and Prince George’s county residents would face an 8.9 percent increase in their water and sewer bills starting in July under a proposed budget released Thursday by the Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission.

The increase would add $5.30 per month to the average residential bill, said WSSC spokesman John C. White. That would come on top of an 8.5 percent rate increase that WSSC customers saw this fiscal year.

The proposed budget includes additional money to inspect, repair and replace deteriorating pipes. It would also cover cost increases at regional sewage disposal facilities, stepped-up inspections of large sewer pipes and an increase in the water pipe corrosion monitoring program, said Antonio L. Jones, WSSC’s board chairman.

White said the proposed $1.2-billion budget for both operating and capital expenses is in the early stages of consideration. After two public hearings scheduled for February, the utility’s board of commissioners must vote on it before it would be approved by both county councils June 1.

A public hearing in Prince George’s is scheduled for Feb. 2 at 7:30 p.m. at the RMS Building, 1400 McCormick Drive, in Largo. The Montgomery hearing is scheduled for Feb. 3 at 7:30 p.m. in the 7th floor council hearing room of the Stella B. Werner Building, 100 Maryland Ave., in Rockville. People who want to speak at either hearing can call 301-206-8110.

By Katherine Shaver  | January 13, 2011; 5:28 PM ET
Categories:  Maryland
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: More rabbits found in Columbia home
Next: Flu on the rise across Maryland

Comments

Water and sewage should be put on a basis that pays its own way with enough money to inspect, repair and replace ALL the deteriorating pipes.

The days of the WSSC PONZI SCHEME, with WSSC depending on signing more and more new customers while, at the same time, not even keeping up with maintenance, are numbered.

Posted by: polecatx1 | January 13, 2011 8:08 PM | Report abuse

My bill averages about 240.00
WSSC points out on my bill that I use less than the average per son for a 4 person household.

My bill will increase about 20 bucks. If I am unhappy with how much I pay can I use another water service?

Posted by: CNAWHITE | January 14, 2011 8:15 AM | Report abuse

Uh, I think there is a mistake in the math, unless WSSC is more than 3x per month what Fairfax Water (and sewer) is. If the 8% increase is $5.30, that would be $66. That's about -actually, slightly more- than I typically pay for my QUARTERLY bill from Fairfax for water and sewer, and we have not gone out of our way to save water like we have for electricity. Either that's a "Quarterly" increase, or the folks in MD are doing some light farming on the side. Who knew residences in MD came with driving ranges? Or, perhaps there are very severe problems with leaking distribution?

Posted by: NovaMike | January 14, 2011 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Here we go again. Perhaps the WSSC should sale that building in Laurel for more affordable accommodations. This would dramatically lower the overhead thus having the savings passed to the customers.

During a visit to that facility to conduct some business, I couldn't believe the waste of money that construction cost, not to mention the maintenance.

If the consumers have to pony up more in paying for water and sewage, surely WSSC could do their part in reducing cost.

Posted by: Special_One40 | January 14, 2011 10:30 AM | Report abuse