Posted at 10:27 PM ET, 04/ 2/2010

Metrobus driver arrested after dispute

By Terri Rupar

A Metrobus driver was arrested Friday evening after a knife was allegedly displayed in a traffic dispute in Southeast Washington, Metro said.

System officials said that after the dispute between a bus driver and a motorist about 5 p.m. police pulled over a bus on the U2 route in the 2900 block of Minnesota Avenue SE.

Metro said Dwayne Adamson, a bus operator for three years, was taken into custody.

--Clarence Williams

By Terri Rupar  | April 2, 2010; 10:27 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Pr. George's officer hit by car
Next: Children's ER reopens after fire

Comments

I would not be so quick to judge this one. This is a case of self preservation. The hidden story is that Metro Operators and Employees are the victims of assaults everyday. Metro is neither safe for its riders or employees.

Posted by: KwameFan | April 3, 2010 12:30 AM | Report abuse

Self defense ought to be a remedy. I thought anything that did not involve a gun was good.

What next?

Garden tools?

Posted by: gary4books | April 3, 2010 5:33 AM | Report abuse

I lived in Houston years ago, and one day on my way home I saw a city bus blocking one lane of a street in front of a gas station. Watching the news later on, I learned that the bus driver,obeying a call of nature, had simply parked his bus in front of the gas station in order to use the bathroom. When the driver of the vehicle behind him got out of his car to remonstrate, the bus driver pulled out a gun and shot the man in the stomach.

Violent bunch, these bus drivers.

Posted by: nicekid | April 3, 2010 6:48 AM | Report abuse

What do you mean a “violent group, these bus drivers?” You base that statement on one anecdotal example and this story? I can point to examples of accountants, police officers, priests, doctors, and people employed in virtually every occupation who have been accused of violent acts. Does that make all of those “violent groups?” The bus driver may or may not have displayed a knife.

The display of a knife, if it actually happened, may or may not have been lawful. Now my time for a generalization based on years of experience and knowledge of the Minnesota Avenue corridor, that place is rife with violence and any bus driver serving the area is subject to threats of violence from riders and drivers. I would wait to see how this one pans out. Regardless, though. The bus driver will almost certainly lose his job if he had a knife. Better his job than his life, though.

Posted by: MdLaw | April 3, 2010 7:38 AM | Report abuse

I had an encounter with a metro bus drive once where the driver actually got out his bus, leaving his passengers while the engine was running, and walked about 30 yards up the street to confront me as I was parking my car because i asked him to stop beeping his freakin' horn at another vehicle in front of the bus who was trying to make a left hand turn into a driveway and temporarily blocking traffic on the narrow road. iThe metro driver wanted to rumble with me right there in the street, i guess because i somehow insulted him by telling him to calm down and give the guy a break. i just walked away and shook my head, but the driver kept taunting me while he walked back to his bus. I can only image what the passengers were thinking. This happened at Southern Towers in Virginia.

Posted by: dlpetersdc | April 3, 2010 7:45 AM | Report abuse

I think we need to know the complete story before jumping to conclusions.

Posted by: sue1047 | April 3, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

I guess the Metro bus driver needed a hug.

Posted by: JoStalin | April 3, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Someone ought to shove De-Waaaaayne's knife where the sun don't shine.

This Metro parade of Asshats is really getting old.

Posted by: moonchild64 | April 3, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Driving in DC is bad enough but doing it for a living is crazy. I'm sure the bus driver was frustrated but he should be used to the verbal abuse by now. As long as he is not mentally unfit-oh wait, just re-read my first sentence...

Posted by: dcdoug | April 3, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

What would Ralph Kramden do?

Posted by: srb2 | April 3, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

I was on ther 38B a few weeks ago and 3 unruly passengers suddenly decided they wanted to get off and ordered the driver to let them out then and there while standing at the back door. Of course the driver is not supposed to stop just anywhere but at the next official stop so he ignored them. One was walking up to the front as they continued to yell at him to open then and there if he didn't want any trouble and just as we pulled up to the next stop he let them out. The passengers closest to them said the one in the back had pulled out a switchblade as he was ordering the driver to open. Of course, silly me engaged one of them, saying, "Um, has to wait till the next stop!" without knowing about the switchblade yet. But luckily the guy just said something about staying out of it and that they loved me so I guess it never hurts to be nice. :)

Posted by: SusanMarie2 | April 3, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

All the facts are not known but I find it hard to believe that anyone would get out of their car or bus to confront someone they don't know in southeast DC. Unless it's an old person or a female most thugs wouldn't even do that. Quickest way to get shoot.

Posted by: Jimof1913 | April 3, 2010 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Real thugs dont ride a bus they steal cars.

Posted by: FrankMonzon | April 4, 2010 6:57 AM | Report abuse

Sign of the times. These flourishing economic and emotional times. Golden age of America is gone. People are growing angry and careless.

Posted by: FiatBooks | April 4, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse