Posted at 8:44 PM ET, 01/23/2010

One stabbed in confrontation at Pentagon City mall

By Terri Rupar

(Update 9 p.m.)

One person was stabbed and slightly wounded Saturday evening at the Pentagon City shopping mall, after a confrontation between two groups, Arlington County police said.

The groups had been involved throughout the day in verbal confrontations, said Det. Crystal Nosal, an Arlington police spokeswoman.

She said the confrontations ended in a fight in which the stabbing occurred around 7 p.m. The wounds were superficial, Nosal said.

Several people were being questioned last night in connection with the incident, which occurred on the first floor of the mall in or near the food court, Nosal said. Those involved were around 17 or 18 years old, and a half-dozen people are being questioned in the incident.

--Clarence Williams

By Terri Rupar  | January 23, 2010; 8:44 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Flash flood watch issued for region for Sunday
Next: Plane diverted after passenger tries to open door

Comments

Gang related no doubt. Thanks El Salvaldor Thanks

Posted by: cr10 | January 23, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

pentagon city mall...what a dump!

Posted by: SofaKingCool2009 | January 23, 2010 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Attention "CR10" --

I personally witnessed the groups involved with this incident. They were all African-American. Not a single Hispanic person was involved, from what I saw.

Instead of jumping at the opportunity to point a finger at a certain race to reinforce your prejudiced mind, perhaps you should gather FACTS first and close your mouth until you know what you're talking about.

Posted by: garykool81 | January 24, 2010 1:00 AM | Report abuse

Gang related no doubt. Thanks El Salvaldor Thanks

Posted by: cr10

CR10, I am glad you said it, because I was thinking the same. I don't want to be called a racist. We have some black and white savages too. Political correctness is destroying the United States along with illegal immigration. WE are doomed in this country.

Posted by: Ward4DC | January 24, 2010 2:08 AM | Report abuse

First Springfield Mall was destroyed by the food court gangs, then we got Landmark Mall, and finally Pentagon City Mall...all being taken down by roaming gangs. Wait until they are finished constructing Metro out to Tysons Corner...it will be taken out also by thugs. Mark my word. Sad but true.

Posted by: jms3rd | January 24, 2010 5:39 AM | Report abuse

Now you see why cops profile, either these were thugs from DC or illegal alliens gangs, get them all out of here.

Posted by: nativeva1 | January 24, 2010 7:06 AM | Report abuse

Malls with food courts and Metro access add up to this.

Tysons Corner is making a HUGE mistake by allowing itself to become accessible by Metro. All the rowdy teenagers will drive out the people who actually spend money there.

Posted by: WashingtonDame | January 24, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Pentagon City Mall used to be a show place, but now it is a dangerous hangout for thugs. The food court is crowded with laitter and kids who are not at the mall to shop. The place is quickly going down hill. I won't go there anymore.

Posted by: cpnorton1 | January 24, 2010 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Excellent points about malls being destroyed by gangs. As a life long area resident, I used to enjoy going to Springfield Mall. Thanks to metro and our lovely friends from D.C. you are risking being shot or carjacked. They need to cut off metro access or build a mall in D.C. and P.G.

Posted by: ralt | January 24, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

The mall has always been a hangout for teenagers. BUT...here's what I would do

I would have a huge police, or gang task force at the mall for an indefinite period of time. Loiterers should be kicked out of the mall or arrested.

Posted by: rickyroge | January 24, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

This is the very reason why aggressive police profiling is needed. Honestly, does anyone think that a gaggle of teenage hoodlums are at the mall to shop? They are loitering, looking for girls, and looking to get into criminal activity. If they know they are being watched and profiled they will not feel comfortable in that said place. It's that simple.

Posted by: jabreal00 | January 24, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

It has nothing to do with race, color or nationality. Teenagers are teenagers regardless their color, race or nationality. I think we should learn from Indonesia, the third world country but when you go the the mall there ( in Jakarta or Surabaya )you would feel safe because they have a really good security forces. They won't be hesitate to ask those who are just wandering around in the mall in a group to leave the mall or follow them until they leave the premises. Their malls are better than ours here. What a shame...

Posted by: traveler88 | January 24, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

The irony is the locals whined about having a mall with metro access. It looks like the folks in Georgetown were right in keeping a station out back when they built Metro. The cops really need to crack down on the gangs so Pent City doesn't become Springfield Mall.

Posted by: dtysko | January 24, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

I think we should have a positive ID check when transferring to or from the Green Line.

Posted by: Bitter_Bill | January 24, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Differing crime profiles come in differing crime colors,that said there are boundaries i.e, profiles we assume right away and no neede to lie or be politically correct. IT IS WHAT IT IS IN TERMS OF WHAT CLAS OF RACE IS LIKELY TO DO CERTAIN CRIMES MORE OFTEN THAN NOT.

No racism is evident in any of these postings and the critics of free and truthful speech, though sometimes wrong is acceptable and warranted in MOST instances about crime and yes
I am NEGRO/Black/colored!

Posted by: foxxmacpryor | January 24, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

I saw these problems coming up years ago. Around 2000 or so, my mother and I were eating at Johnny Rockets, in a booth that was open to traffic going to/from Metro. For some reason, my instints instantly said, Protect the purses. So I told my mother, Give me your purse. She did and I tucked it to my left, away from the Metro traffic.

Sure enough, a black female teenager heading to Metro rushed the railing at our booth, popped her head over looking for something to snatch, saw NOTHING THERE, and ran to Metro!

Gradually, more and more teenagers have swarmed that mall -- bus tours of teenagers visiting, too -- WHY?? They've never seen a mall before? This current event with the stabbing was bound to happen. I'm surprised it wasn't sooner.

Posted by: Loryjones | January 24, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

of course the perpetrators were going to be black or hispanic. obvious

Posted by: slim4 | January 24, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Back in the late 80s when Pentagon City Mall opened, it was a great place to go. Now, it's ghetto. Honestly.

Posted by: B-rod | January 24, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

shop on line and stay safe

Posted by: TheDubb | January 24, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Oh please. You bigots don't have any money anyway. THAT'S why Springfield Mall is a dump. If the malls were not making money off of teenagers, they wouldn't cater to them with Abercrombie, Footlocker, Guess, Express, Level 21, etc. The malls know exactly who spends the money--that's why most of the stores cater to women and teenagers.

Posted by: PepperDr | January 24, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse