Posted at 1:47 PM ET, 08/ 4/2010

Palin endorses candidate for Md. governor

By Washington Post editors

Brian Murphy, a little-known Republican candidate for Maryland governor, has won the endorsement of one of the biggest names in national politics: Sarah Palin, Maryland Politics reports.

Murphy is a business investor from Montgomery County who has offered himself as a more conservative alternative to former Maryland governor Robert L. Ehrlich Jr. (R).
brian.jpg
In a statement on her Facebook page, the former Alaska governor called Murphy "a pro-life, pro-Second Amendment commonsense conservative and a firm believer in the free market and the cause for energy independence."

Check out the blog for more details.

And follow the Post Palin endorsement tracker to see who the former vice presidential candidate has thrown her support behind.

By Washington Post editors  | August 4, 2010; 1:47 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Body found in Laurel near river
Next: Woman struck by dump truck in SE

Comments

Imagine being endorsed by an idiot ......... What else can anyone say ?

Posted by: loretoguy | August 4, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

No canidatate in the State of Maryland will never get my vote if they seem to not be aware of the terrible traffic along I-270 created by their supporters. Send emails, door-to door meetings, but do not put three kids waiving posters over the Falls Road overpass creating a 3-4 mile backup on I-270 this morning. That is definetley not 'commonsense' as Ms. Palin states.

Posted by: cubs-n-colts-n-07 | August 4, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure this endorsement from Caribou Barbie will have Bobby Hairspray in a thither.

Posted by: jmsbh | August 4, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

An endorsement for Murphy from Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is forthcoming.

Posted by: glazer68 | August 4, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

That's wonderful. I always take my voting cues from someone who probably thinks Baltimore is the state capitol.

Posted by: 2360623185 | August 4, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

It's too bad Obama can't endorse ANYONE...Democrats running away from him as fast as they can.

Posted by: seawolfR | August 4, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

this will help him lock up the trailer trash vote.

Posted by: calif-joe | August 4, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

he and his wife look like brother and sister, i can see why Palin likes him over that loser erhlich.

Posted by: MarilynManson | August 4, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

He WON the endorsement? What was it? A contest of one? If I were him, I would have serious second thoughts about receiving the Sarah Palin Kiss of Death.

Posted by: bkllal6020 | August 4, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Hmm, how does Ehrlich respond? Does it move him towards the Right, and thus make himself unelectable in Maryland?
Or does he subtly use this to show he is a moderate and thus akin to O'Malley? That seems his only path to victory.

Posted by: Towards_Light | August 4, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Hah! Bobby Haircut is guaranteed to win now!

Posted by: bs2004 | August 4, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Does Brian Murphy attend exorcism's with African Pentecostal ministers too?

Posted by: thebobbob | August 4, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

"Former energy industry executive."
He was a commodities trader for Constellation Energy. Kind of like Enron, you know?

"...has private sector experience that is so lacking in government today."

Because, you know, government is like a business. It should be run for profit, right?

"Reduce government spending." Because the state spends far too much money providing services to people...? Murphy got a full scholarship to UMD. Where does he think that money came from? I guess now that he got his free ride, time to put an end to free rides! I guarantee he cannot name three state programs he'd eliminate to "reduce spending". I don't know if he could name three state programs at all.

"Small business owner." His "investment group" owns a bakery and a "men's cosmetics company." Aha... there is a difference between OWNING a business and RUNNING a business. So what is kind of private sector experience will he really bring to MD? Trading state-owned commodities? Getting MD into the investment business?

Endorsing this guy is exactly the kind of decision Palin likes to make: don't blink, don't worry about facts, just go with your gut.

Erlich is probably thanking his lucky stars that Palin didn't endorse him.

Posted by: dpc2003 | August 4, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

There's something strange about Palin's call for "energy independence".

She thinks it means they're free to keep drilling for oil.

Posted by: lindalovejones | August 4, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Now we know who to vote against.

Posted by: Lefty_ | August 4, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Well, I know who I am not voting for.

Posted by: UnknownHenson | August 4, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

That baby looks abbey-normal.

Posted by: nuke41 | August 4, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

so he's "pro Second Amendment" in maryland, huh? Yeah, that's a recipe for success.

that's like Barney Frank running for governor in Mississippi.

Posted by: Please_Fix_VAs_Roads | August 4, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Like Maryland cares about what Palin thinks.

Posted by: sassafrasnewport | August 4, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Ok now! Well gosh darn it, let me write this gentleman's name on my hand, so that come September I will remember who Sarah wanted me to vote for!

Posted by: janouzpoha | August 4, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

An endorsement by Palin is the kiss of death in Maryland!

Posted by: flwood2341 | August 4, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Back in the days when I was a moderate Republican and registered as such in Maryland, I'll never forget receiving a flyer from Bob Dole about his conservative gravitas. I voted for George H.W. Bush.

An endorsement from Sarah Palin is like receiving a kiss from Judas. Deadly.

Posted by: lilpixiefig@aol.com | August 4, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, did anyone even know that Bobby Haircut had a primary challenger?

This endorsement could double Murphy's support -- from 1% to 2%.

Posted by: koolkat_1960 | August 4, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

If he's got the Palin stamp of approval, you know he's a loon.

Posted by: B-rod | August 4, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

I guess that IDIOT Palin wants to endorse anyone who runs against Democrats or Republicans. This lady is a NUTT. I guess Levi & Bristol was unable to get their realty show so they call off the Wedding. Now if the MEDIA stop giving Sarah PIG Palin a platform she will go away.

Posted by: access11 | August 4, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

I really, really hope this fool gets the GOP nomination. He should be easier to beat than Erlich.

Posted by: topperale | August 4, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Who?

Posted by: Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me | August 4, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

He will NEVER MAKE NOW...SARAH PALIN... IS A NUT...Anyone paying her any attention NEED THERE HEAD EXAMINED.......

Posted by: mcseacna | August 4, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

One of the biggest names in National politics. How much did she pay you to write that. If she thinks her endorsement will help she is "up in the clouds"

Posted by: soinanai | August 4, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

why is this news, and what has this person done to qualify to endorse anyone? I'd rather hear who the world cup prognosticator, the octopus is endorsing. Hi, I ran for vice president and lost, and I was a governor, but figured pea brained sheep would pay me a lot more to do things like offer my endorsement to candidates who i like, so people actually listen to me, and the media absolutely cannot get enough of me. Don't believe it? This newspaper will have numerous articles and pictures of me in it EVERY SINGLE DAY OF THE YEAR. You can bank on it. I put it on facebook, and it's front page news. No, I don't have a brain, and I don't know squat, and I'm a radical extremist and I'm un-America to boot, but the media absolutely adores me. I'm photogenic! Don't you wish you were? Loser?

Posted by: red2million | August 4, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

OMG! There's a Post palin endorsement tracker? Gee, I just can't understand why newspapers are folding by the dozen, and why the WAPO has laid off like a million people, and has made money in one quarter in the last five years. Then again, there are literally thousands of people in this country being paid to track palin's every movement. If she switches from white to wheat bread you can bet we'll know about it. I've emailed the post and suggested that they create a new division that is devoted entirely to every single second of the most unimportant person whose ever lived, but thus far they're content with half a dozen articles and pictures per day. Can WAPO please just make her picture the front page forever? If I never heard or read her name again I would be one happy man, but apparently WAPO and the rest of the media are absolutely obsessed wilth this cretin.

Posted by: red2million | August 4, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Palin Endorses Maryland Candidate for US Senate

Spiro T. Agnew, the former vice-president who resigned under a cloud of tax evasion charges, and who died almost 14 years ago, has won the endorsement of one of the biggest names in national politics: Sarah Palin.

Palin has endorsed Agnew as a candidate to run against Barbara Mikulski in November.

"He's a true American, you betcha!" said Palin. "You can trust Mama Grizzly on this one."

When notified that Agnew was both a criminal and deceased, Palin shrugged off the information. "That's just the liberal media talkin'," she snapped. "He's not politically dead until folks stop votin' for him."

Posted by: glazer68 | August 4, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse