Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
Posted at 11:50 AM ET, 04/14/2010

Parents sue Anne Arundel schools

By Washington Post editors

The family of a 14-year-old Crofton boy killed in a gang-related dispute last May filed a multimillion-dollar lawsuit against the Anne Arundel County Board of Education and others Tuesday, contending that school officials knew the youth faced violent threats and failed to protect him, the Baltimore Sun reports.

Jennifer Adkins and David Jones, the parents of Christopher David Jones, are also seeking $10 million from the parents of two teens who struck Christopher while he was bicycling near home and the parents of three juveniles and an 18-year-old who the lawsuit says egged them on.

The attorney for Christopher's family, Richard L. Jaklitsch, said the goal of the lawsuit filed in Anne Arundel County Circuit Court is to hold people accountable. It reveals the names of the youths who were not charged, the Sun reports.

Bob Mosier, a spokesman for the school system, declined to comment. The other defendants are the parents of Javel George and Trey Robinson, the youths who struck Christopher; the parents of Deonte Murphy, Jay Battle and Danyal Bakhsh; and 18-year-old Eric Ali, all of Crofton. Neither they nor their lawyers could be reached for comment.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

The lawsuit seeks $200,000 from the public school system, the maximum allowed under state law. Jaklitsch said Adkins and Jones believe that the school system "dropped the ball, they did nothing," and that the justice system was too lenient in dealing with the youths.

By Washington Post editors  | April 14, 2010; 11:50 AM ET
Tags:  Anne Arundel County Maryland, Crofton Maryland  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Md.'s blue crabs make a comeback
Next: Acting Metro police chief apologizes

Comments

I hope the family wins this one big- not so much for the $$ but as a way of helping schools understand that they cannot just give lip service or take weak actions in addressing real threats made by real thugs (who happen to be enrolled as students)to the 99% of student who want to learn.There are special ed programs and DJJ for students who are dangerous to their peers, school staff and the community. the AACo Schools should quit talking and start placing some of these "special" ed thugs in these programs!

Posted by: lsf07 | April 14, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse


GOOD FOR THEM!!! I hope they win and the parents of these little animals end up sleeping in a tent and begging for loose change while their little savage brats are getting their fair share of prison justice. Parents need to realize that they can and will be held accountable for thier children.

Posted by: savethepcbs | April 14, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

How is it the school system's responsibility to protect students when they are off school property? I doubt that a principal or teacher would not call the police if they thought the life of a student was in danger. If a student threatens to beat up another student after school should the school system apprehend and hold the student and call police?

Posted by: Jimof1913 | April 14, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

I hope the parents of each child that took part in killing this young man have to pay through the nose. The parents are responsilbe for the behavior of there children. They are not to be let off the hook. The school knew what was going on and failed to try to protect or defuse the situation at all. The boys will be boys mentality is so not ture in this day and age. The fact that this had been a on going problem, the school failed this child just as much as the parents of these animals that killed him.

Posted by: mypgcop | April 14, 2010 6:21 PM | Report abuse

The comments to this entry are closed.

 
 
RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2011 The Washington Post Company