Posted at 10:16 AM ET, 10/13/2010

Police make arrest in UMd. bar fight

By Washington Post editors

One person has been arrested in connection with an altercation early Tuesday morning that left four young men, including three University of Maryland students, cut and wounded, Prince George's police say.

An 11 a.m. news conference is scheduled at City Hall in College Park to talk about the incident.

Police say a drunken altercation inside the off-campus bar the Thirsty Turtle in continued outside, when the three students - two are 19 and the other is 20 - got into an argument with another man.

Bar employees ejected those who were fighting, but the argument continued. The man then produced a folding knife and cut the three students and a 23-year-old man who tried to intervene, police officials said.

None of the injuries was believed to be life-threatening, police said. One student was cut on the cheek and the other two on their backs. The 23-year-old, who is not a student, was cut on his right side.

By Washington Post editors  | October 13, 2010; 10:16 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Md. man sleeping in wrong bed arrested
Next: Fenty may take teaching job at Oberlin

Comments

Interesting how the big mouths are so silent now that the race of all involved are known not to be black or hispanic.

By this time yesterday, there were lots of comments about what a hell-hole UMD and College park were because they located in Prince Georges County. All while some commenters asked "What's the ethnicity of those involved?".

Now that everyone involved are known to be a bunch of drunken white boys, not a peep.

Posted by: ceefer66 | October 13, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

ceefer66 you are so right about no comments about the drunken white boys. I knew who the culprits would have been because I drive on Route 1 a few times a day and the white boys are mostly all that I see coming in and out of those bars in that area. I have always thought that white has a very high propensity for acting out when they are drunk.

Posted by: gordonj1 | October 13, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

DEPORT THOSE ILLEGALS BACK TO IRELAND WHERE THEY CAME FROM!!!!!

Posted by: paliceag | October 13, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

DEPORT THOSE ILLEGALS BACK TO IRELAND WHERE THEY CAME FROM!!!!! Everyone has seen Gangs of New York and knows what will happen if we let these rampant illegals take over!!!!

Posted by: paliceag | October 13, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

@gordonj1

" I have always thought that white has a very high propensity for acting out when they are drunk."

Experience has shown me that the most dangerous people are young white males who are intoxicated. Especially when they are underachievers or from the lower social classes.

Posted by: ceefer66 | October 13, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Where did you see their identities?

Posted by: Jsuf | October 13, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Now let's compare that bar in College Park to any block in southeast, or Temple Hills, Langley Park, Oxon Hills, Suitland, Forestville, Cottage City, Hyattsville, Riverdale etc. Man, black racism is rampant these days.

Posted by: rollmonte | October 13, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

ceefer66 thanks for the correction ...6 of 1/half dozen ... tomatoe/tomato ,,, drank/drunk ... it is progressive.

Posted by: gordonj1 | October 13, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Actually the suspect is hispanic. hahaha

Posted by: Jsuf | October 13, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

ceefer66 -

I went to Tijuana several years ago.

The locals were very friendly.

The young (white) Americans who came down to drink were downright scary.

Posted by: FrankIBC | October 13, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

**************************
Really? As soon as I read the words "bar" and "college park", I knew exactly what race they were. This would've been obvious to anyone who's attended or visited UMD. I'm even willing to place a bet on which state they come from.

Posted by: jennifermb98 | October 13, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Frat boys from Joisey or New Yuck involved?

Posted by: 10bestfan | October 13, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Where did you see their identities?

Posted by: Jsuf
----------------------

Last night's 11:00 news on channel 4.

Posted by: ceefer66 | October 13, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

@Jsuf

"Where did you see their identities?"

Last night's 11:00 news on channel 4. There were surveillance photos of the suspect and some of the victims as well as shots of the (white) fraternety house where the victims reside.

It's a shame that you're in the position to ask that question since we all know that had the perp been black, his face would be plastered on this very page.

Posted by: ceefer66 | October 13, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: gpl2411 | October 13, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Actually the suspect is hispanic. hahaha

Posted by: Jsuf
----------------------------

doesn't look hispanic to me.

Actually, the clip shown on Channel 4 is much clearer; the suspect is obviously white.

Either way, you can't blame "black savages in PG County" for this one.

So the joke is on you. haha.

Posted by: ceefer66 | October 13, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Actually ceefer66, the man arrested an charged is a 23 year old non-university student named Leonardo Alonso Ramos. Sounds hispanic to me. Guess the joke is on you.

I never blamed any African Americans for this either. What I do know after attending the University, is that the majority of violent crimes were committed by non students.

Posted by: Jsuf | October 13, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

@ Jsuf

"Actually the suspect is hispanic. hahaha

Looks white to me. Channel 4 had a clearer picture; the perp is WHITE. Get over it.

@gpl2411

"ceefer66: Get it the right. The man with the knife was hispanic. The group they were fighting with was white. The black boys were not involved in this. But then again, this was a group of drunk idiots and not a robbery. "

So you're saying it would have been a roberry had blacks been involved? I say it would have been the same thing - a fight because a bunch of drunk white boys were stupid enough to shoot off their mouths - as you are doing here.

Anyhow, thanks for clearing it up about "drunk idiots".

Posted by: ceefer66 | October 13, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jsuf
------------------------

You just won't let this go, will you? As if your very manhood depended on your being "right". I only know of certain men that applies to.

OK, so the guy has a Spanish name. I've been to Spain and I can tell that the majority of Spanish are WHITE - as are the upper class Mexicans. Peurto Ricans are classified as "white" for census purposes. This guy is WHITE. I don't care what his name is.

But if the last word is that important to you, go ahead and call him hispanic.

Happy now?

Posted by: ceefer66 | October 13, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

ceefer66: I merely wanted to get the facts out there. The main point though, is that the person wielding the knife was not a student. The vast majority of crime in College Park on and around the campus is committed by non students. Sure, some of the frat boys get drunk and scuffle, but no one is getting stabbed. I knew a student who was stabbed and killed while I was there and myself and a friend of mine were robbed at gun point, all by non students.

Posted by: Jsuf | October 13, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Hey ceefer, UMD and College Park still are hell holes regardless of whether the people involved in this were white, black, blue, purple or green.

Man, there's a lot of racism on this board. Hating whites IS racist too.

Posted by: gomerpyle1 | October 13, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse