Posted at 12:28 AM ET, 02/ 3/2011

Pr. George's officer's car slides off road

By Clarence Williams

A Prince George's County police officer was taken to a hospital for a check-up late Wednesday night after his car slid off the road and into a pole in the Clinton area, officials said.

The officer was the only person in the marked cruiser which veered off Piscataway Road near Steed Road about 11 p.m., said Cpl. Evan Baxter, a spokesman. The officer was not considered to be seriously hurt.

Police believe a wet road make have been the cause of the crash, according to preliminary reports.

By Clarence Williams  | February 3, 2011; 12:28 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Calm and unhappy after U-Md.-Duke game
Next: A.M. headlines around the D.C. region

Comments

Mr. Williams, cars, by themselves, don't slide or veer off roads. And a wet road can't cause a crash though it could be one factor. The other factors, and I'm sure the PG police will deny it, were probably speed and improper handling of the vehicle. I can't tell you how many times my car has done exactly what I told it to do while in wet, icy, snowy, dark (etc., etc.) conditions. Oh wait, yes I can...every time.
Humans control vehicles sir. This cop screwed up driving. Say instead something like "A PG County police officer drove his car off the road in wet conditions..."

Posted by: goalman_13760 | February 3, 2011 1:06 AM | Report abuse

Well total time it took for me to find my daughter some insurance was about ten minutes or so. I ended up getting her a much better plan that saved her right around $350 a year using clearance auto insuance

Posted by: leesaheath | February 3, 2011 2:21 AM | Report abuse

I live on Brandywine Road in Clinton, MD not far, but in the same development as the Clinton Police Station on Groveton. How many times have I sat on my front porch and witnessed police cars marked and unmarked driving over the speed of 35mph on Brandywine Road? Too many. I have seen them fly up and down Brandywine Road in Clinton, no sirens, no lights doing way over the speed limit which is excessive. I do not want to hear about them being on a call. I found out that the "station" is used only for roll-call and then they go out. It is at the old Crestview Elementary School. I am waiting to witness an accident wherein the police are speeding, hit a car so that I can give the exact time of this occurrence and see if in fact a call had been placed and the officer was responding (which means he/she should have their lights and sirens on). Someone is going to be killed. This needs to stop. Also, since PG is having a budget crunch - why do they have to take the vehicles home and drive them for personal use? Let's put a stop to this and have them use their private vehicles to haul their families to and from the grocery store, mall, parks & recreation.

Posted by: vpm626 | February 3, 2011 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Why is this news?

Posted by: dank32 | February 3, 2011 10:10 AM | Report abuse

I bet the PGPD didn't even want this in the paper cause now it will come out that the officer was just speeding for "no" reason and slid off the road.

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | February 3, 2011 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Don't they have GEICO or something? Why are we commenting on this people. It as though you see Prince George's County in the story and immediately go negative with the comments.

Is this a Black thing?

Posted by: Special_One40 | February 3, 2011 10:39 AM | Report abuse

The law does not apply to cops, they speed all the time, glad to hear it.

Posted by: DCFanatic | February 3, 2011 1:03 PM | Report abuse