Posted at 12:22 PM ET, 05/23/2010

Report: Theft ring at Cheesecake Factory

By Washington Post Editors

Updated, 4:33 p.m.:

The Post now has full report up about the alleged theft.

Original post:

Servers at the D.C. Cheesecake Factory allegedly helped steal $117,000 from diners by pilfering their credit card numbers for an accomplice, the Washington Examiner is reporting.

The charges were revealed in court documents filed by the U.S. Secret Service.

According to the article:

"Nicole Ward, a former employee of the Cheesecake Factory at 5345 Wisconsin Ave. NW, has been accused of recruiting two servers to help skim the diners' credit card numbers for a fraud ring. Ward was arrested on bank fraud charges last week. The two servers were identified in court records only by their initials and have not been charged after cooperating with investigators. The scheme started in June 2008 and ran through May 2009, according to court documents filed in Alexandria's federal court."

By Washington Post Editors  | May 23, 2010; 12:22 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Man shot nine times in Dundalk
Next: Police investigate death of Laurel infant

Comments

People worry about making purchases online w/charge cards, but this kind of theft is easier to do. Whenever your card leaves your sight, the number is jeopardized. Gotta check that charge card statement each month!

Posted by: DecafDrinker | May 23, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

holy sheet!!!!!! this girl is going to be large marge's best friend. Felony city here she comes.

Posted by: FiatBooks | May 23, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

I think to gain confidence back in cutomers,Managers and Asst,mgrs should be handling monetary transactions,thier employees, should do better jobs calling previous jobs on workers.Also Banks and credit card customers should be notified.

Posted by: wwwglennchumpitaz | May 24, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

I tried to make the store manager aware of this credit card scam in Jan 2009. I used a new credit card for the first and only time at the Friendship Heights Cheesecake Factory and within 10 days there were thousands of dollars in fraudulent charges made against my card. It was obvious to me how my card had been compromised since I had only used it once, but the manager dismissed my concerns as "racially charged allegations" noting that my server was black.

Posted by: ltgiffhorn | May 24, 2010 9:21 PM | Report abuse