Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
Posted at 8:32 AM ET, 01/13/2011

Report: Dog may have saved family

By Washington Post Editors

A dog may be the reason a family escaped from a fire that consumed their Fort Washington home, ABC 7 reports.

A neighbor told ABC 7 that her dog alerted her that the neighbor's home was engulfed in flames. The dog owner then banged on the family's door and the residents fled the home, according to ABC 7.

"I went and banged on their door and told them that the house was on fire," the neighbor told ABC 7. "And then the neighbor across the street came over, knocked on their door, and they rushed out of the house and went across the street. I'm just glad the dog was pacing like she was."

Authorities said a firefighter suffered a neck burn in the fire, according to ABC 7. The home is in the 7200 block of Lavonda Court. ABC 7 has video of the fire:

By Washington Post Editors  | January 13, 2011; 8:32 AM ET
 
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Buzz: Metro, Mother Teresa, Stomp
Next: 3 adults hurt in school bus accident in D.C.

Comments

Smoke detectors, folks. One on each level. They cost fifteen bucks or less. Earlier detection before the fire and smoke were so intense that a neighbor's dog could sense it inside its own house could've helped prevent the damage from being so severe. This family was lucky.

Posted by: Nghbrhdwatch | January 13, 2011 9:25 AM | Report abuse

The comments to this entry are closed.

 
 
RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2011 The Washington Post Company