Posted at 3:26 PM ET, 05/25/2010

Sex abuse charge for ROTC instructor

By Washington Post editors

A Howard County ROTC instructor was arrested Monday night and charged with having sex with a student in a school, Fox 5 reports.

Charles Ray Moore, 51, of Bowie, was charged with sexual child abuse and sexual abuse of minor after a 17-year-old girl said she and Moore had sex at Atholton High School in Columbia on two days in May. The girl's mother reported the incident to police.

By Washington Post editors  | May 25, 2010; 3:26 PM ET
Tags:  Howard County Maryland, Sexual Abuse and Assault, howard county schools, rotc, teacher
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Md. law requires children wear life jackets
Next: D.C. may ease rules for tour guides

Comments

Dazed and confused?

Posted by: 123cartoon | May 25, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

A consenting 17 year-old just doesn't phase me in this day and age. Back in the late 60's I was 17 and my classmate was 16. Our biggest crime was getting caught necking in the stairwell behind the swinging doors.

I don't feel this guy, if convicted, should have to be registered as a sex offender. And as for the girl? Get over it, you had a bad lay, probably not your first and definately not your last!

Posted by: unseenmirage | May 25, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

WP please clarify your story -- there is a big difference between an ROTC instructor and a JROTC instructor.

Posted by: klj3827 | May 25, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse

This is happening all over the country. Go to www.schoolteachernews.com and click on the Scandal page. This year they have documented over 225 of these types of incidents. They also have a map of where the incidents have taken place. In 2009 they found 464 of these kinds of cases.

Posted by: triumph110 | May 25, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

KLJ - He is a JROTC instructor

Posted by: amowrey | May 25, 2010 11:55 PM | Report abuse

Nothing special about this story..

Call me when a Female JROTC instructor who is hot has sex with male students.. Now that is when these types of stories become entertaining.

All I can say is, why would a 17 yr old hook up with a 51/yr old? Kinda hard to find that a 51/yr old would be attracting 17 yr olds. In any case, burn him at the stake. If that happen to my daughter, I'd be out for blood.

Posted by: AlbyVA | May 26, 2010 12:08 AM | Report abuse

Although I don't condone what the instructor did, and I find it very unprofessional as both a teacher and a member of the US Military, shouldn't some of the blame fall on the student?

According to reports, the first "abuse" took place a day before they actually had sex... so, it's not like this was a one time thing, and the professor groped her and she immediately told authorities. This was a multi-day thing.

Blame should be evenly spread. This man has had his image spread all over the news, and his reputation is completely ruined... I believe that is punishment enough for him... but she will be the innocent victim and never face any sort of penalty/punishment. I don't agree with that.

Posted by: hackpoet | May 26, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hackpoet | May 26, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Those in the position of authority when it comes to our children, be it a 7 yr old or a 17 yr old, should not be having sex with them. I don't care if they 17 yr old stood before him butter-ball-naked, he was in a position of authority and should have behaved as such!

Posted by: MizLadee | May 26, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

How outragous!
We depend on our JROTC instructors to instill a sense of duty, responsibility and honor amongst their charges.
Our country will need these people to kill and die for our country!
Leave the sex ed to the communists!

Posted by: MarilynManson | May 26, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

It is amazing how people can come to a conclusion just by what the media reports.... What if its proven that this man didn't do anything, will the media then re-tack the comments made and will this man be able to regain his life from the embarassment that media has made this out to be. I thought we are innocent until proven guilty, but I guess its different with the media. I think that people should wait until all the facts are out, before passing judgement.

Posted by: coop1 | May 26, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: coop1 | May 26, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Mizladee - It is not butter-ball naked...she is not a thanksgiving turkey. It is butt-bald naked. Though I agree he was in a position of authority and he should have taken the military positon of "stand down" in more ways than one.

Posted by: PowerandPride | May 26, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

@powerandpride... actually it varies as to where you live. Butt- bald naked, butterball naked (refers to the retail state of a cooking turkey)buck naked (refers to the retail state of a slave offered for sale). depending on where you were when you heard it first.

Posted by: skipfrmdc | May 26, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

if he touched her one day and had sex with her the next, she must have like it - so where's the problem. or was it not good to her so she decides to complain. I'm over 51 and there's nothing a 17 year old can do for me, but in his case, he's getting screwed more than once - pass him the vaseline for now he's about to get it in his (I'll leave you to your imagination).

Posted by: geg5100 | May 26, 2010 6:48 PM | Report abuse

As a student at Atholton High School I am appalled that a man I see everyday and say hi to everyday, one that people look up to would do such a thing. These rude and inappropriate comments are unnecessary because what if that was someone you knew who was in this 17-year old's situation? Its disturbing to think that something so sad could go in a place of learning that we go to everyday. Remember, innocent until proven guilty.

Posted by: noitsnotfunny | May 26, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse