Posted at 12:27 AM ET, 10/ 7/2010

Stewart announces rally location

By Terri Rupar

We already knew that Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert planned to host dueling rallies on the Mall. Now Stewart has announced the location for his Rally to Restore Sanity. It's in an area known (to someone, at least) as East Seaton Park and Henry Park, between 3rd and 7th streets NW on the Mall.

rallymap.jpg

By Terri Rupar  | October 7, 2010; 12:27 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Woman is killed in Fairfax restaurant
Next: Woman dead in Dupont hit-and-run

Comments

Just as long as no one disturbs me bathing in the Spring Grotto.

Posted by: habari2 | October 7, 2010 2:40 AM | Report abuse

Hey if that's anything like Heff's grotto, sounds like a good time to me.

Posted by: Nymous | October 7, 2010 3:13 AM | Report abuse

There is no East Seaton Park, and there is no Henry Park. In fact, people keep moving those labels around the Mall on the Google Maps. It's all the National Mall.

Posted by: DontWannaMyPostID | October 7, 2010 6:33 AM | Report abuse

Can we come in Halloween costume?

Posted by: jimward21 | October 7, 2010 7:02 AM | Report abuse

YOMMO BE THERE!!!

Posted by: demtse | October 7, 2010 7:33 AM | Report abuse

Perfect! Right in front of the Grant Memorial which is 252 feet in length ! General Grant on horseback is an equestrian statue second only in size to that of Victor Emmanuel in Rome! Jon Stewart, although a short fellow...is even larger than Grant in his brilliant ability to help all of us with what is left of our sanity!

Posted by: judithclaire1939 | October 7, 2010 8:05 AM | Report abuse

Great - now all the Spider Lobbyist will know where to focus against the MSM deep dark dank forces conspiring against them...
KEEP FEAR ALIVE!

Posted by: GarrisonLiberty | October 7, 2010 8:24 AM | Report abuse

I'm kind of amazed a political firefight hasn't already started in response to this post. You know, someone complains about liberal Jon Stewart, then a liberal fan of his starts attacking all conservatives and then it turns into the comments section of pretty much every post on washingtonpost.com. Honestly, I'm still surprised that a relatively moderate paper like the Post (I said relatively - I know if it has any leaning, it's sorta toward the liberal) attracts such extremists on either side.

Posted by: rj2835a | October 7, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure that Stewart will have a big crowd that week-end. I'm also sure that he would have had a similar-sized crowd on any weekday since the sort of people who idolize Stewart and Colbert typically aren't the sort of people who hold down steady jobs. But then few liberals are. People who actually work hard and pay their own way in life tend to be conservative by experience.

Hey Liberals, try not to trash OUR mall again like you just did with your last "rally"/union meeting at the Lincoln Memorial last week.

Posted by: nola_exile | October 7, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

rj2835a...well said.

nola_exile...thanks for proving his point.

And actually it's not YOUR mall. In fact, once the GOP cuts the budget for the Park Service, it won't be anyone's mall.

Posted by: db_in_va | October 7, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

nola_exile also missed the part where Jon Stewart asked that people attending the rally make contributions to the Trust for the National Mall which is a non-profit organization dedicated to restoring and improving the mall.

Facts are such pesky things...

Posted by: lastaxell | October 7, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

YOMMO BE THERE!!!

Posted by: demtse | October 7, 2010 7:33 AM
------------------

Michael McDonald, is that you?

Posted by: frenchyb | October 7, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Wow, I went to the website and was surprised to learn that they are directing anyone who wants to make a donation, to send money directly to the trust fund for restoring the National Mall. I had no idea they were doing this and think that is a great idea. There is also a lot of info on the rally website about protecting the Mall and Park Service regs on what can and cannot be brought onsite.

Did Beck's rally encourage donations to aid the Mall too? I really don't know and would be curious whether they pitched in in this way also. As all of us in the area know, this is a badly worn national treasure that is used by people on all sides of the political spectrum for rallies and protests (most notably the March on Washington with Dr. King), and is also the setting for major national events like inaugurations and Smithsonian festivals. All this is as it should be -- but the mall needs upkeep and repair as a result.

Posted by: fairfaxvoter1 | October 7, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Right near the Canadian Embassy. I figured the Canukis were behind this anti-American debacle somehow.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 7, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Rally of the comedians.

What will they think of next?

Posted by: postfan1 | October 7, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

nola_exile: Got any facts to back up your mindless jibberish? Didn't think so, you all never do.

Posted by: adwashburn | October 7, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

I just heard he's having the cast of "Jackazz" there to discuss healthcare reform.

Posted by: BigDaddy651 | October 7, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Isn't it odd how conservatives on this blog make such logically inconsistent statements? On the one hand they talk about the monolith liberal conspiracy in the media, on our campuses, among our major think tanks and among liberal interest groups. Then they say that liberals are lazy, won't work, and just want to lay around collecting paychecks from the federal government. Now look fellas. Both these scenarios just can't be true. You cannot pull off a vast left wing conspiracy if you are lazy, shiftless and averse to work.

But look. The evil liberal that the right fantasizes about doesn't really exist. It is a figment of their imaginations fueled by the daily wheezing ratatattat coming from delusionary bozos like Rush Porkbaugh and Glenn Blecccch!

Posted by: jaxas70 | October 7, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

===
Yes it's true the rally supports diversity so republicans are invited too.
RETURN TO SANITY!

Posted by: GarrisonLiberty | October 7, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jaxas70 | October 7, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Is Bill Clinton going to speak on ethics in life and in marriage at this rally too?
M C Hammer will also speak on the federal deficit? Rosie O'Donnell will discuss the obesity epidemic in children?
This is actually funny to watch as Stewart struggles for credibility.

Posted by: BigDaddy651 | October 7, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

"I'm also sure that he would have had a similar-sized crowd on any weekday since the sort of people who idolize Stewart and Colbert typically aren't the sort of people who hold down steady jobs. But then few liberals are. People who actually work hard and pay their own way in life tend to be conservative by experience."

---------

Let's see, I can't attend on a weekday because I go to work every day at a steady job (and have for several decades - with only one sick day), pay my bills on time, don't spend beyond my means, and I'm debt free. But because I don't "idolize" at the alter of Beck and Co., that makes me one of them no good 'libruls."

Those of us who enjoy watching Stewart and Colbert take them for who they are - they are entertainers. They don't take themselves seriously and we don't take them seriously either. Unlike some of Beck's followers, if Jon Stewart says the world is flat, we know it's a joke.

BTW, how does Beck draw such a large audience when his show is on at 5 p.m.? Most people I know are at work at that time.

Posted by: AuburnTiger87 | October 7, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Who needs Stewart or Colbert? When I need a hearty laugh, I just watch Barry O try to explain why his policies are floundering. As an extra, I count the number of times he uses the pronoun "I."

Great time for anyone who loves laughter.

Posted by: CubsFan | October 7, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Great time for anyone who loves laughter.
====
Average Faux News viewer: 65. Hence the large mid-day troll population. Faux Ha!
KEEP FEAR ALIVE!

Posted by: GarrisonLiberty | October 7, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

KEEP FEAR ALIVE!

Posted by: GarrisonLiberty
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Psst.... Hey liberty boy, It's not fear. It's anger, nit wit.
And that gives it a whole different meaning.

Posted by: tjmlrc | October 7, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if these rallies will be filled with the ilk of the One Nation rally - SEIU, Young Socialist Movement, Communist Movement, ole Sharpton, Jesse and the ACLU, La Raza and the like. I don't think the taxpayers will favor another clean up tab following on the heels of all the trash and litter left behind by this bunch of rabble.

Posted by: inmanorj | October 7, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: inmanorj | October 7, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

What?? Really?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 7, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

AWESOME! I only have to walk three blocks to attend ... quite excited.

Posted by: sloppyawn | October 7, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

===
Clean up? As in the large pooper-scooper bill republicans left us after crashing the stock market that stole our 401k's, deficts & lost blood starting stupid wars without an exit strategy, deficits from the tarp bank bailouts..

$#@$ it I'm falling into your troll trap. Just come out Oct 30th & have a little fun with all us young whipper snapper rabble rousers! RETURN TO SANITY!!

Posted by: GarrisonLiberty | October 7, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

I wish I cared about what any overpaid TV personality had to say but I don't. They don't live like we do and neither does obama.
They jetset and come and go as they please. They don't deal with the real world, pinching pennies, watching prices go up, trying to stretch their pay to cover the bills. Bills that have been made worse by the sneaky tax increases from the utilities, etc in order for localities to recoup their revenue losses. I'm not likely to glorify what an overpaid self promoting celebrity like obama or stewart or oprah or sarah or any of them have to say.

Posted by: tjmlrc | October 7, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

fairfaxvoter1 wrote:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Beck kicked in $5M for Wounded Warriors - think Stewart or Colbert will do that???

Posted by: thornegp2626 | October 7, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tjmlrc

---------------------------------

Unlike you, most Stewart viewers went to college. And most are young, urban, affluent and professional.

Posted by: kenk3 | October 7, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tjmlrc

---------------------------------

Posted by: kenk3
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What makes you think I didn't go to college? Your statement implies that if you went to college, you are young, urban, affluent, professional and view stewart. I would ask you if you're kidding but I'm sure you are just as serious as the shallow, young urban, etc. etc. thing that you are.
Aren't you a sad little case?
I know, I know. You don't even realize what a sad little case you are. You truly believe yourself to be at or near the pinnacle. What a load of growing up you have to do.

Posted by: tjmlrc | October 8, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse