Thousands in D.C. without power
Update, 11:41 p.m.
Power was cut off to about 2,300 homes and businesses in the Shaw area of Northwest Washington on Saturday afternoon after a fire in an electrical manhole, a Pepco spokesman said.
A fault in a cable caused the fire in the manhole in the 1300 block of 6th Street NW said Pepco spokesman Andre Francis. He said that the fire was reported around 3:15 p.m. and that power was restored to most of the affected homes and businesses by 6 p.m.
One resident of the block said the lights “went out” but “didn’t stay off that long.”
Another resident said she was away from home at the time of the incident, but was told by a neighbor that he “never saw a manhole top blow up before.”
Update, 6:08 p.m.: Most customers' service was quickly restored, according to Pepco.
Fans, refrigerators, air conditioners and TVs went out Saturday afternoon in the Shaw area of Northwest Washington after a fire in an electrical manhole, authorities said. Computers, too.
Power was cut off after a fire broke out about 5 p.m. in a manhole in the 1300 block of 6th Street NW, officials said.
About 5,500 homes and businesses were without electricity after the fire.
The comments to this entry are closed.