Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
Posted at 8:45 AM ET, 02/18/2010

Thursday news roundup

By Washington Post editors

Good morning. It’s Thursday – we’re that much closer to the weekend. Even better news: It’s another day without snow (at least the kind that falls from the sky). Mother Nature might even offer us a bit of help melting those giant piles. The Capital Weather Gang says temperatures will be in the low 40s today – a slight warm-up over yesterday.

Now, here are your headlines.

A closer look. The folks at Metro are bringing in a top transit guru to help figure out how the transit agency can help fix itself after a number of accidents and, sadly, deaths. He is David L. Gunn and he is familiar with Metro, having served as chief of WMATA in the early 1990s.

Barry gets deadline. Marion Barry has one week to clear himself of allegations that he personally benefited from a $15,000 city contract he gave a former girlfriend, and that he used city earmarks to benefit his friends and supporters. The report, by lawyer Robert S. Bennett, recommended that the case be referred to the U.S. attorney’s office for a possible criminal investigation. But federal prosecutors have remained mum on whether they believe they could build a case against the former D.C. mayor. We know it can be hard to keep track, so here’s a timeline of Barry's troubled history. Barry's former girlfriend, Donna Watts, talked to Fox 5 about the case. She calls Barry "Teflon Don."

A brave face. A 9-year-old girl took the stand yesterday in Montgomery County in the trial of her adoptive mother Renee Bowman. Bowman is accused of killing her two other adopted children and stuffing their bodies in her freezer. The 9-year-old, who was able to escape, spoke of the horrific life the girls had with Bowman.

We're delivering -- mostly. The U.S. Postal Service says mail delivery is almost back to normal, with about 90 percent of customers getting their mail. Service to the remaining 10 percent should be restored over the next few days, a postal spokeswoman says. Road conditions are getting better, but driving remains tricky: Some students in Prince George’s County were late getting to school yesterday after their buses got stuck in the snow.

In short: Two Metro Transit Police officers were injured after they were punched by an 18-year-old man during an incident at the Addison Road Station (Post); D.C. is reevaluating its school lunch program (The Washington Times); Alexandria is looking at tax hikes to help close a budget gap (The Examiner); WASA says fire hydrant repair in the District could cost millions. (The Examiner)

And we know it’s not local news, but the U.S. Olympic team had a record day yesterday, picking up six medals, including a gold for skier Lindsey Vonn.

Thanks for reading. We hope you have a great day. Check back with us for updates and for our evening news roundup. Remember, you can get your local headlines via Twitter @postmetro.

By Washington Post editors  | February 18, 2010; 8:45 AM ET
 
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Pedestrian struck, killed by car
Next: The Daily Goodbye

No comments have been posted to this entry.

The comments to this entry are closed.

 
 
RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2011 The Washington Post Company