Posted at 12:32 PM ET, 01/25/2011

3rd baby in a week born on Md. highway

By Washington Post editors

Denise Deal was one week past her due date, scheduled to have labor induced at the Anne Arundel Medical Center today. But the baby had different ideas, the Annapolis Capital reports.

On Monday, about 5 a.m., Denise began having contractions. Jim Deal loaded his wife into the couple's minivan. They'd briefly considering going to Baltimore Washington Medical Center, but Denise figured they'd have time, so they headed to I-97.

Madison Deal -- an 8-pound, 1-ounce girl with blond hair and blue eyes -- was born near Benfield Boulevard. Mom and baby are doing well.

It's the third time in one week that a baby has been born on a Maryland highway. On Jan. 17, just before midnight, Lekeisha Love of Severn gave birth to a baby girl in her and husband Kirby’s minivan on the Baltimore Beltway. About five hours later, on Jan. 18, Matt and Dayita Strasser, also of Severn, had their baby boy in their Ford Freestyle on I-97 near Hawkins Road.

Read more about the unusual number of highway births in the Annapolis Capital.

By Washington Post editors  | January 25, 2011; 12:32 PM ET
Categories:  Maryland, Traffic and Transportation
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Hawk still stalks Library of Congress
Next: Pr. George's water caution thru Thurs.

Comments

Enough. Babies are born everyday, regardless where.

Posted by: jckdoors | January 25, 2011 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Good to hear that mommies and babies are happy, healthy, and safe! These three families have some stories to tell when their kids get older!

Posted by: VAtoLA | January 25, 2011 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Could it be possilbe for an ugly duckling like me to get pregnant and deliver where I conceived (Highway I-97) if my name were not Theresa Dudley,teacher of PG County schools.

Posted by: TheresaDudleyFat | January 25, 2011 3:27 PM | Report abuse