Posted at 11:02 AM ET, 08/10/2010

Metro warned about "unspecified" threat

By Washington Post editors

The Department of Homeland Security Administration warned Metro about a potential threat to the system, NBC 4 reports.

The television stations says it obtained an internal memo that stated that someone traveled to Turkey last July in order to obtain a U.S. visa. The person then planned to come to the states and blow up an unspecified Metro station.

Metro Transit Police said the information about the threat has a "low level of credibility."

By Washington Post editors  | August 10, 2010; 11:02 AM ET
Categories:  DC, Maryland, Traffic and Transportation, Virginia
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Six arrested in Rehoboth Beach attacks
Next: D.C. police group files suit against Fenty

Comments

No such thing as the "Homeland Security Administration."

Posted by: boutros23 | August 10, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Um, if it has a low level of credibility, then it's being reported because....?

Posted by: linroy62 | August 10, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

If anybody's gonna blow up Metro, it'll be a disgruntled rider!

Posted by: WickedRose | August 10, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

It's considered "low level of credibility" because if it's going to happen, there's absolutely nothing they can do about it.

Posted by: steampunk | August 10, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Good point, steampunk.

Posted by: linroy62 | August 10, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

The tactics have changed. They are taking out air conditioners instead. Causes more crowding, delays - potential rioting. They will start the fire and we'll burn ourselves down.

Posted by: Pensfans | August 10, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

I'm not worried. I know I have Metro's crack police force to protect me like during that riot last Friday night. On the other hand...

Posted by: tsamm | August 10, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Right they realized that local politicians (with the budget axe)and teenagers were a bigger threat to Metro than anything people outside the US could dream up.

Posted by: blankspace | August 10, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: blankspace | August 10, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Now it's just the "Department of Homeland"?

Posted by: subwayguy | August 10, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

One morning I was on my commute to work (westbound Orange) and three Metro police climbed on at Eastern Market. Spent the duration of the short ride discussing where they wanted eat breakfast; decided the best place was Capitol South (the next stop) and got off.

Posted by: therewasacatch1 | August 10, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

We've already established that Metro wouldn't take any action in response to actual alarm bells, lights, and whistles literally literally going off in Metro's own headquarters, so what you expect them to do with a nonspecific and incredibly obvious warning is beyond me.

Posted by: jiji1 | August 10, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

I have to say, these are the most accurate comments I've read in a long time. These people know what they're talking about. Good on ya, mates!

Posted by: crlchs1 | August 10, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse