Posted at 8:44 AM ET, 06/ 8/2010

Va. studies raising road speed limit

By Washington Post editors

Safety studies are under way to determine whether the speed limit on some highways in Virginia could be raised from 65 to 70 miles per hour.

A bill approved earlier this year by the General Assembly allows the new speed limit on certain interstates, multilane divided highways and high-occupancy lanes that are separated from regular travel lanes.

The Virginia Department of Transportation plans to evaluate 741 miles of Interstates 64, 66, 77, 81, 95, 295 and 395 during the first round of studies.

A list of areas being studied was posted Monday on VDOT's website. They include I-64 from Clifton

Forge to the West Virginia border, I-81 in Botetourt County between mile markers 151 and 179, and I-95 from Ashland to Kings Dominion.
———
Information from: The Roanoke Times, http://www.roanoketimes.com

By Washington Post editors  | June 8, 2010; 8:44 AM ET
Categories:  Traffic and Transportation, Virginia  | Tags:  highway, speed, virginia
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lori's A.M. Buzz
Next: Schieffer named Whitman grad speaker

Comments

Raiding the speed limit to 70 will hopefully get those VA drivers to pick up the pace. Unfortunately it won't mean a thing until VA stops there ridiculous reckless driving statue at 80+ MPH or 20 over which ever comes first.

Posted by: mrmaye | June 8, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

*raising
*statute

Posted by: mrmaye | June 8, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

get rid of that stupid 80mph reckless and then we'll talk. 70 and even 75 are safe and fine on those rural interstates.

Posted by: thenoggin | June 8, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

*their

Posted by: bmp246 | June 8, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

If one really wants to move Virginia traffic along at a better pace one needs to pass legistration which prohibits drivers from distractions which have proved to be deterimental to the safety of themselves and others, i.e. no cell phone while driving, brushing their teeth, applying make up, smoking especially when children are on board, reading, etc. Virginia may be for lovers but it ignores via politically the distractions which causes many accidents and injuries, just research the data.

Posted by: colangelo13 | June 8, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: colangelo13 | June 8, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: colangelo13 | June 8, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

55 is the limit that is most frustrating for me. As I do a reverse commute every day, it is ludicrous to expect a driver to go 55 mph on a 4 lane highway with hardly any traffic on it. Raise it to 60 and when there is traffic, people simply won't be able to drive that fast. Hell, people will still drive 75 either way...but the Virginia Police departments which mainly focus on ticking the public will be hurting for those extra bucks.

Posted by: rocotten | June 8, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

The oil companies win on this one.

Posted by: jckdoors | June 8, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

I have to agree that some areas that are 55 need to be raised. I just drove from Fredericksburg to Alexandria on Sunday, and there's a large stretch of road between Woodbridge and Arlington that's 55. Because I only recently got my license back after a long period of time of not needing one, I had no desire to be pulled over, so I did about the speed limit. I was getting passed by others left and right (literally...stop passing on the right, idiots!). I don't really care if people pass me...I'm doing the right thing, but there's no real need for the 55mph through that area now that the Sprinfield interchange is basically finished.

Posted by: akchild | June 8, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Yes, VA should get rid of speed limits altogether and require holding a cell phone in one hand and a gun in the other.

Posted by: vmax02rider | June 8, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse