Posted at 1:54 PM ET, 09/ 3/2010

D.C. drivers: The worst in the nation

By Ashley Halsey

You think the guy in the rear view mirror is about to rear end you? You think the lady in the next is about to wack you from the side? You think that clown is going to run the stop sign and t-bone you?
If you drive in Washington, there's a better than average chance that you're right.
In fact, the chance is 95.5 percent better than average, according to a report from the Allstate Insurance Company, which collects crash data from across the nation. Washington ranks dead last, behind 192 other cities..
The good news is that Washington was at the bottom of the list last year, and it's been near the worst for many years, so those who have escaped being in a collision probably are the best drivers in the country. The bad news is that Washington drivers get into crashes an average of every 5.1 years, so your number may be up. By contrast, the best drivers in the land are in Fort Collins, Co., where they get into collisions 31.2 percent less frequently that the national average and go an average of 14.5 years between them.
If fear of collision causes you to flee the streets of the District, don't bother going to Baltimore. It ranks just above Washington at the bottom of the list.

By Ashley Halsey  | September 3, 2010; 1:54 PM ET
Categories:  Traffic and Transportation
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Assateague's ponies fine despite Earl
Next: BWI to get $21M in "green" upgrades

Comments

Finally, truth is being told the absolute
worst and discourteous, by far nationwide.

Especially the one with the white and blue
defense department decals on the front
windshields. They need to go to anger management school.

Having just returned from the eastern shore
I almost forgot what courtesy was like.

Posted by: dealmake | September 3, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Could the stark demographic differences between DC and Fort Collins possibly explain the crash data for these two metropolitan areas? Think there's a similar parallel with crime statistics? What a surprise.

Posted by: williamhuxtan | September 3, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

As if this is a surprise. I'm moving out of this area and the driving/drivers is among one of the reasons. I can't wait to have my stress levels cut by almost 100%! I'll be bicycling where I'm going, yay!

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | September 3, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

this article is racist

Fart Collins is one of the whitest cities on the planet

Posted by: jiji1 | September 3, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps there is something in the values and priorities of our panicky commuting culture that contributes to such an unnerving accident rate. However, I disagree that the "lack of courtesy" element would significantly add to it; after all, even jerks don't want their cars busted up.

I would look instead to the high commuting population density of our region (thanks GSA/Metro...) and the profusion of intersections - often confusing, congested, and curiously controlled - as a few of the more significant contributors to our accident rate.

Posted by: HydroxCookies | September 3, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

I've been driving in Washington since 1966. Yes I said 1966. I'm surprised I'm still alive. As far as I'm concerned Wash has always had by far the worst drivers anywhere, and this is not recent. Part of it is the bizarre street/circle layout (thank you L'Enfant) that was originally designed for horse and buggies for God's sake. Also contributing to the fear and loathing are the inglorious diplomats, who can do whatever. I have a few other theories too but it won't change anything. Comes with the territory. If you want to live in Wash, you'd better get over the driving thing.

Posted by: arlingtonian6 | September 3, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

This list is odd. Boston does not even show up. All my life I have heard that drivers in Massachusetts are the worst.

Posted by: didianne | September 3, 2010 11:00 PM | Report abuse

This is due to the influx of foreign drivers moving into the region. The DMV will give a driver license to anyone with a pulse, no real driving skills needed. Back in the 70's driving in region was more pleasant before the huge immigration movement.

Posted by: tmi1 | September 4, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Didiane...Massachusetts drivers are the WORST in the U.S. followed by Puerto Rico...I think it is illegal in MA and PR to use turn signals. And many DC area drivers think it's illegal to use turn signals. I've been driving since 1968 and I think it has gotten MUCH worse since the introduction of cell phones. Also, the driving age should be raised to 18.

Posted by: DecafDrinker | September 4, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse