Posted at 1:05 PM ET, 02/ 2/2010

Va. Tech parents to be told of alcohol violations

By Washington Post editors

What happens in Blacksburg, won't stay in Blacksburg anymore.

The Associated Press reports that administrators at Virginia Tech will call the parents of underage students who are caught and disciplined for alcohol and drug violations.

The university adopted the policy last month in response to parental requests.
Under the previous policy, parents were notified of violations only after a second offense.

By Washington Post editors  | February 2, 2010; 1:05 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mother and son slain in Prince William County
Next: Montgomery approves hiring preferences

Comments

I teach a lot of students who drop out of VA Tech because of alcohol addiction. It's a major problem there. This is a good first step, but even better would be to automatically expel students who drink.

College is for higher learning. The reason a BA/BS is worthless is because of people who go there thinking it's a big party.

Posted by: FiatBooks | February 2, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Tech throws some pretty dope parties, no doubt, son!

... This really won't deter anyone from underage drinking. Students will just be more careful/sneaky.

Posted by: steampunk | February 2, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

FiatBooks - next time you get a speeding ticket, we'll just yank your driver's license, forever.

No thanks. Automatically expelling drinking students -- when such students comprise literally 75-80% of campus -- is not an option. Attempting to recall why drinking is such a problem in the first place...now there's an interesting discussion...but it probably won't swing your way, judging by your take on the issue.

Posted by: btrzcinski | February 2, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Could someone please explain to me how this is legal? It would be one thing if the college students were kids still under the control of their parents (and may well apply to college freshman under 18). But wouldn't infoming parents of infractions made by students over the age of 18 be illegal? The parent/child legal relationship is over at age 18, and the parents/kids are adults that just so happen to be related.

I was always under the impression that the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act covered college disciplinary records as well as academic records. I know as a fact that academic records cannot be released to parents without the student's express consent. This used to bother a lot of parents, especially the helicopter parent types, but when I was an RA for freshman, I made sure I explained to the students, and even showed them exactly how, they can cut their parents off from grade reports. I would think there would have to be some form of an "opt-out" for disciplinary records too.

What's next, my boss is going to call my senile mom when I show up late to work?

Posted by: thetan | February 2, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

I have no problem w/parents being notified if the kid is <18, but once a student is an adult, the school should bud out.

Posted by: cr10 | February 2, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Those aged 18-20 are also adults and not "kids" or "teens", meaning they shouldn't be called those words. The drinking age must be lowered to 18 along with education and licensing. The ageist drinking age of 21 has never and will never instill alcohol responsibility to young women and young men who are 18-20. It's a disgrace, thus absolute shame, that Virginia Tech will inform a student's parents for drinking alcohol if the student was 18-20. I declare that Virginia Tech is an oppressive university.

Posted by: LibertyForAll | February 2, 2010 9:08 PM | Report abuse

I always thought UVa was a bigger party school than Tech. In fact, I've never thought of Tech as any kind of a party school.

I happened to have been in Richmond during the February 1979 snowstorm. A few dozen VCU student were throwing snowballs at cars as they passed through Monroe Park. One car hit belonged to Senate Finance Cmte Chairman Ed Willey. I have never laughed so hard in all my life.

Posted by: blasmaic | February 3, 2010 8:19 AM | Report abuse