Posted at 11:58 PM ET, 09/26/2010

Va. Tech student dies in fall

By Lynda Robinson

A 19-year-old Virginia Tech student from Norfolk died Saturday night after falling from a third-floor balcony.

The student was identified by Channel 13, a news station in Norfolk, as David Gayle.

The fall occurred at about 11 p.m. at a building on Whipple Drive in Blacksburg. Gayle was taken to Montgomery Regional Hospital, where he was pronounced dead. Police are investigating the circumstances of the fall.

By Lynda Robinson  | September 26, 2010; 11:58 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Suspect in Chevy Chase stabbing killed
Next: Lori's A.M. Buzz: Md.'s first casino opens

Comments

Maybe I can help the authorities out here...let me see...it's late Saturday nite, an 18yr old guy in a college campus dorm.... falls over a balcony....hmmmm wonder if alcohol or drugs were involved...

See where I'm going with this??????

Posted by: pentagon40 | September 27, 2010 1:23 AM | Report abuse

First of all, it wasn't in a college campus dorm. Whipple Drive has apartments. Second of all, he was at a party which was confirmed in another news post. Third of all, he is 19 years old. Oh and fourth of all, this is all IRRELEVANT. A 19 year old is dead because he was enjoying his weekend in the midst of college. You are an idiot..show some respect.

Posted by: onein34 | September 27, 2010 1:48 AM | Report abuse

Actually, pentagon40's reasoning sounds fairly sound to me. Not being all that familiar with Blacksburg, but remembering my own college days, it sounds like it was probably an off-campus apartment complex, as dorms generally do not have balconies. Additionally, the fact that the incident occurred late in the evening on a Saturday night seems to indicate to me that alcohol was likely involved.

Kind of a shame to see this person become another statistic when it comes to irresponsible use of alcohol, but the description provided here seems to indicate that alcohol was involved without explicitly saying it.

Posted by: SchuminWeb | September 27, 2010 6:26 AM | Report abuse

Very early on Sunday morning a family received a call: your son has died. Regardless of the circumstances, this is a horrible moment.

Pentagon40 - way to trivialize this. SchuminWeb - "Kind of a shame...". Really? My hope for both of you is that neither of you have to experience what the family and friends of this young man are going through right now.

Posted by: dalison | September 27, 2010 7:29 AM | Report abuse

David Gayle was a good friend of mine. He was a very nice guy, who had never anything mean to say to anyone. Hearing this story on the TV and seeing all this talk about alcohol makes me very sad, as no one knew this bright, exciting and vibrant person, but are already making assumptions. Wether or not alcohol was involved is irrelevant, he was a super friend to many, a caring partner to his sweetheart of 2? years now, and if nothing, a son to his mother.

Please do not speculate to the details of his death, but rather mourn the passing of a 19 year old who had a bright future, and whos life was full of joy and brining joy to all who knew him.

Posted by: ilyadobry | September 27, 2010 8:08 AM | Report abuse

I appreciate your view ilyadobry but I disagree. I want to know and in the absence of facts will speculate. I, for one, will stand up for young adults who die young. I want to know why they do so that information might be used to prevent other deaths. Such a pursuit is honorable to the memory of David Gayle.

Posted by: RepealObamacareNow | September 27, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

****

Of course the cause of death should be investigated. But there are investigators trained to do just that - and they don't need to "speculate" because they may actually know some facts not available to you.

Ilyadobry, I'm very sorry for the loss of your friend.

Posted by: Rachelva | September 27, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Please everyone just be respectful and do not post anything (especially when you do not know him) that will follow this boy's name for the rest of eternity. They know what happened, how it happened where it began-he's a best friend to one of my close friends who was with him at the time. Keep in mind the public is rarely informed of every little detail in news stories and speculating what you think might have happened from what you've heard in different news reports is completely disrespectful. This comment section should be reserved for discussing how great and wonderful Dave was if anything at all.

Posted by: yale8744 | September 27, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

I want to know and in the absence of facts will speculate.

Posted by: RepealObamacareNow

--------------

Welcome to the Washington Post comments section. You'll fit right in.

Regarding this article - This is very sad, and really a "there but for the grace of god go I" story.

Posted by: ghokee | September 27, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

See where I'm going with this??????
---------------------------------

Yeah I see where you're going... Make more laws to lockup more kids & destroy their lives - for their safety.

And that ladies and gentlemen is why we rank in the bottom half of all industrial counties in education. Our moronic nation loves to make a law, give the 'authorities' more power and above all...lock more people up.

God help us all!

Posted by: question-guy | September 27, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

I knew Dave for the better half of my life and he was always the nicest and most amazing friend a person could ask for. Dave was the last person to deserve anything like this. Pentagon40 i hope that you lose someone close to you so you know what it feels like. Dave you are still in our hearts and in our prayers. the crew, norfolk, and the world wont be the same without you. love you brother RIP

Posted by: Dgolovsky | September 27, 2010 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Dima

Posted by: ilyadobry | September 27, 2010 11:13 PM | Report abuse

My name is James Pollock, and I am a private investigator who resides in the Blacksburg area. Prior to ownership of my own private investigation firm, I was previously employed as a security officer in Blacksburg. I'm appalled by incidents I have personally witnessed, stemming from "Hokie" binge drinking parties.

Although Virginia Tech and Blacksburg will likely share a different opinion, neither of them have been proactive in addressing the issue. Incidents I have personally witnessed remind me of scenes from the old Belushi movie, "Animal House."

I have been attempting to bring attention to the problem for some time now, and have discussed it at length on my blog (http://www.bulldogpi.com.) Perhaps some of the Washington post readership might be interested in the perspective of someone who has personally witnessed what's transpiring in Blacksburg.

Severe injuries, various mishaps, and loss of life have all resulted from the off-campus, alcohol-laden gatherings which occur around the town on a regular basis.

As a closing comment, for the record, I've never particularly desired to become an activist. I'd much prefer to mind my own business, and go about my life.

Sometimes however, a dangerous and preventable situation exists which is allowed to continue until an individual has the courage to speak out. In these instances, bringing the matter to the public's attention will hopefully pressure "those in charge" to address the matter. This is just such a situation.

James Pollock