Posted at 4:33 PM ET, 08/22/2010

Boy, 3, drowns in Potomac tributary

By Washington Post Editors

Authorities say a 3-year-old boy drowned after he fell into a tributary of the Potomac River on Sunday.

U.S. Park Police spokesman Sgt. David Schlosser said the boy was at a family gathering Sunday afternoon when he fell into a tributary that feeds into the Potomac River near Chain Bridge Road.

Arlington County Fire & Rescue crews pulled the boy from the water and he was taken to a hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.

-- Associated Press

By Washington Post Editors  | August 22, 2010; 4:33 PM ET
Categories:  Virginia
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Police: Md. man tried to set wife on fire
Next: D.C. man fatally shot in D.C's Petworth

Comments

How tragic. I encourage all families in the DC metro area with small children to look into Infant Swimming Resource to teach children survival swimming.

Posted by: jsscuban1 | August 22, 2010 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Not aware of any tributary there. I have seen a lot of people fishing along the banks from there to Fletcher's boat house. But, it's not that deep along the banks nor the water that rapid. Weird. Rest in peace, little one. Sorry the ditz adults let you down.

Posted by: Bitter_Bill | August 22, 2010 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Fletchers is on the DC side and this appears to have occurred on the Arlington side, in VA.

Posted by: bbcrock | August 22, 2010 10:20 PM | Report abuse

RIP child.

Posted by: hoos3014 | August 22, 2010 10:54 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe the Post would add a comments section to a tragic story like this. The family involved, regardless of the circumstances, deserves to mourn their loss without any possibility of reading comments that in any way could be insensitive to their pain. Shame on you, McPost, for what you have lowered yourself to. Some articles warrant the option of commenting, this one does not.

Posted by: andyinbethesda | August 22, 2010 11:57 PM | Report abuse

andyinbethesda I agree with you completely. Not the place to have comments. I am a native Dc resident and I can tell you Katherine Graham is spinning in her grave. The paper sucks big time - nothing like 30+ years ago.

Posted by: jloliff | August 23, 2010 6:59 AM | Report abuse

I disagree. I, for one, will stand up for the child and all children. I appreciate the opportunity to do so here.

Posted by: Bitter_Bill | August 23, 2010 7:43 AM | Report abuse

My deepest sympathies and heart-felt prayers go out to this family. I'm so sorry to hear this.

Posted by: john24 | August 23, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

"Aren't there signs up and down the river stating how dangerous the river is in that section?"

It's a river. If you need signs to tell you it's dangerous, you're an idiot and shouldn't be trusted with anything.

Posted by: futbolclif | August 23, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse