Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
Posted at 1:30 PM ET, 10/ 5/2010

Candles blamed for Lorton fire deaths

By Washington Post editors

Fairfax County authorities say unattended candles are to blame for a blaze that killed a woman and her two children in a Lorton home.

The county fire and rescue department said Tuesday the Sept. 22 fire was accidental. Twenty-four-year-old Elieen Cecilia Langham-Anderson, and her two sons, 5-year-old Soloman Anderson and 3-year-old Alfonso Anderson, died in the townhouse from smoke inhalation and thermal burns.

Three other children and an adult also were rescued from the home. In addition, four firefighters suffered minor injuries.

County officials say there have been 10 fire fatalities this year.

--Associated Press

By Washington Post editors  | October 5, 2010; 1:30 PM ET
Categories:  Virginia  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. Council bill gives "pests" protections
Next: Jon Stewart: Restore the Mall


The family was using candles because its electricity had been cut off. Young children need night lights.

Posted by: pundito | October 6, 2010 1:45 AM | Report abuse

"Young children need night lights."


Young children do not "need" night lights. Sadly, today's young parents do not know how to say "no" to their young children, even when their very safety is at stake.

Tragic and preventable. They should have had subsidized/low-cost electricity or at the very least battery-operated lanterns.

Posted by: FedUpInMoCo | October 6, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Why should she have subsidized electricity? Maybe she should have not had FIVE children at 24 yrs old when clearly she could not afford to properly care for them?

Why do the rest of us have to pay for her lack of family / education planning?

Posted by: ms1234 | October 6, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

The comments to this entry are closed.

RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2011 The Washington Post Company