Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
Posted at 10:50 AM ET, 05/ 7/2010

Dog may have started Va. fire

By Washington Post editors

Investigators believe a fire that started at the home of an Alexandria firefighter may have happened after a box of dog biscuits left on the stove was ignited, WUSA reports.

The firefighter, Glenn Ross believes that one of the dogs, most likely Sparky, jumped up trying to get the treats and accidentally turned on a burner in the Springfield home.

Dr. Katy Nelson at Alexandria Animal Hospital and Veterinary Emergency Service is treating both Brownie and Sparky for smoke inhalation and corneal burns. Dr. Nelson says both dogs are recovering nicely.

Ross says the hero of the day is a five-year-old neighbor who saw smoke coming from the home while playing outside. The boy ran in to get his grandparents who called 9-1-1. The early call apparently meant the difference between life and death for Sparky and Brownie.

By Washington Post editors  | May 7, 2010; 10:50 AM ET
Categories:  Virginia  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Md. to get federal aid for snowstorms
Next: Md. men allegedly stole live lobster

Comments

MMM TOASTY BROWNIE

Posted by: steampunk | May 7, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Who jokes about dogs burning to death? You need to get a psychiatric evaluation.

Posted by: VirginiaDad | May 7, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Yeah steampunk you are sick!

Posted by: jamer | May 7, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

actually Virgina Dad... most of the posters on here need psych evals ..... i'm glad the dogs are doing well and expected to recover nicely!

Posted by: ReflectionofLyfe | May 7, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

The comments to this entry are closed.

 
 
RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2011 The Washington Post Company