Posted at 3:05 PM ET, 05/21/2010

Va. principal on leave over fetus dolls

By Washington Post editors

UPDATE:
The principal of Oakwood Elementary School was put on administrative leave Friday as school officials continued their investigation of plastic human fetus dolls given to students by an employee.

It was not known if Principal Sheila Tillett Holas knew about the dolls or approved the distribution, The Virginia-Pilot reports.

The employee who gave the students the dolls was put on administrative leave Thursday.

Elementary students given fetus dolls
12:25 p.m.

A Virginia school employee was place on administrative leave Thursday after reports that the worker distributed plastic human fetus dolls to students at an elementary school.

The Virginian-Pilot reports that the dolls, which were distributed to students at Oakwood Elementary School in Norfolk over weeks or months, are not authorized instructional materials.

The dolls, in pink and brown and about 4 inches long, came with a "pro-life" message and information on fetal growth, the paper reports.

School officials have begun an investigation. The employee who distributed the dolls has not been identified.

By Washington Post editors  | May 21, 2010; 3:05 PM ET
Categories:  Virginia  | Tags:  abortion, fetus, virginia
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Hockey coach arrested at Mayflower hotel
Next: UMd. tries no cars on Campus Drive

Comments

Teachers distribute "unauthorized learning materials" to kids every day. I've been in discussions with my county education office for years about the trinkets, candy, prizes, etc...that the teachers give my kids all the time. Seems no different to me and much more educational than a ninja turtle ring?

Posted by: Hoops44 | May 21, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Now they should have to teach the kids all about the birds and bees..including a woman's right to control her own body including abortion!!

Posted by: lsf07 | May 21, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps the teacher accumulated an extensive fetus doll collection over the years and wanted to share it.

Almost everyone I know has dozens of fetus dolls.

Posted by: kenk3 | May 21, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse

kenk3, I keep a box full of fetus dolls under my bed at all times, just in case I get visited by a group of small children. They never come by, though, not even on Halloween. I wonder why.

Posted by: dkp01 | May 21, 2010 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Why did it take months before somebody brought this to the attention of the principal and school board?

Poor, traumatized eight-year-olds.

Posted by: laylahb | May 22, 2010 2:37 AM | Report abuse

Nobody would have said a word if she had given them condoms instead.

Posted by: hofbrauhausde | May 22, 2010 5:53 AM | Report abuse

At least the fetuses were intact.

Posted by: blasmaic | May 22, 2010 6:25 AM | Report abuse

You know, the person who did this (distribute fetus dolls) was trying to make a political point. That's my objection. Why do we use children to make adult points? In my view this becomes tantamount to child abuse - there is no way to know what the reaction of a child will be to adult ideas. Properly taught at the right age by authorized staff in a sex education or human development course is the way to go, but sneeking such concepts into a classroom for political purposes is just wrong

Posted by: ralph5 | May 22, 2010 6:54 AM | Report abuse

Um - how can you tell a "fetus" doll from a baby doll - or newborn doll? Fetuses are just tiny babies.

Or are these dolls inside the mommy doll?

The story makes no sense as written.

Posted by: Amelia5 | May 22, 2010 7:03 AM | Report abuse

My fetus doll collection has moving parts. Each one is an individual plastic being. I love my fetus dolls. I will not share them. No.

Posted by: swatkins1 | May 22, 2010 7:27 AM | Report abuse

I agree with hofbrauhausde, if these had been condoms no one would have objected. This is the culture of death that we live in. A country by how it treats the least of its society. Right now, we do not look too good. Teaching children that life begins at conception, that is not a political statement, but a reality of creation.

Posted by: MorkunasA | May 22, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse

hofbrauhausde and MorkunasA, can you really believe that there would have been no reaction if teachers had distributed condoms in elementary school? There have been outcries about condom distribution in high schools.

And MorkunusA's claim that "life begins at conception is not a political statement, but a reality of creation," is a logical fallacy (called petitio principii): assuming as a starting point part of what you're trying to prove. It leads to circular arguments.

Posted by: rick5 | May 22, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

"Teaching children that life begins at conception, that is not a political statement, but a reality of creation."

And, apparently, also teaching children that a woman's humanity ends when she conceives a child. After all, any other human has the right to refuse the use of her body at any time to any one, even if that other person needs to use it to survive. A country is judged by how it treats all of its citizens - and a country that demands that some citizens be the property of others, to be used as they please without concern for what happens to them as a result, as a punishment for having sex, is not a good or a free country.

But that's OK. It's not a "culture of death" if the deaths involved are pregnant women. They don't count. Fetuses might be male and are certainly virgins - therefore they are valuable people to be protected (as long as it's someone else's body, not yours, being co-opted for their protection). Non-virgin women are things to be used. And, after all, when women die of pregnancies that go horribly wrong, or botched illegal abortions, it makes SUCH a good object lesson in the "sex is evil, women who have sex - even rape, even with their husbands - need to be punished" curriculum.

Posted by: Catken1 | May 22, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Just flush em down the toilet. Problem solved.

Posted by: ozpunk | May 22, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

I sincerely hope that those children being given "fetus dolls" are also given a newspaper column which announces the excommunication of a nun/hospital administator who approved of an abortion in her hospital when doctors announced the mother/patient would die if forced to deliver,and was too sick to be moved to another hospital. The Bishops reply was "let both mother and fetus die". Now lets talk about the culture of death.

Posted by: drzimmern1 | May 22, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

I sincerely hope that those children being given "fetus dolls" are also given a newspaper column which announces the recent excommunication of a nun/hospital administator who approved of an abortion in her hospital when doctors announced the mother/patient would die if forced to deliver,and was too sick to be moved to another hospital. The Bishops reply was "let both mother and fetus die". Now lets talk about the culture of death.

Posted by: drzimmern1 | May 22, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

"Life begins at conception" is, depending upon how you view it, either tautological or factually untrue.

Yes, a fertilized egg and all of its later iterations are alive. But then, both the egg and the sperm were alive before they ever met each other. So whatever begins at the moment of conception, it ain't "life". "Personhood" is a more slippery concept.

For what its worth, I also cherish my fetus dolls too much to just give them away.

Posted by: Bob-S | May 22, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Hand out Pole dolls showing him buggering a little boy.

Posted by: Garak | May 22, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

I can not believe somebody came in my home and stole my fetus doll collection. I have been looking for my lil babies for months. Those dolls were inherited from my grandmother. I was going to pass them out at Halloween. I feel robbed. But probably not as robbed as the women whom would have their right to personal health taken away by that nut job that burglarized my home. Shame-shame.

Posted by: randishlego | May 22, 2010 6:24 PM | Report abuse

I can understand the problem with handing these out to 8 yr olds. But my 16 yr old child was given a plastic newborn that cries, you have to feed, and have to change their diapers. I'd rather they just left it to me to raise my own child, thank you very much. How about we start educating parents on how to approach their children on the subject matter at hand, instead of letting strangers do it for us?? Step up to the plate and do your job as parents, and you won't have these kinds of problems.

Posted by: Petals81 | May 22, 2010 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Did they have a coat hanger in their head?

Posted by: thermowax | May 22, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

If fetus doll collecting was legal, we could tax it.

Until then, most of us will have to get our fetus dolls on the black market.

Posted by: kenk3 | May 22, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Can you order fetus dolls by the crate? Who makes them? Is there a fetus doll website?

I want to have a fetus doll robot army!

Posted by: Nymous | May 22, 2010 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Type in "fetus dolls" in google shopping. Wow.

One seller on Etsy.com has a whole box of them... get them while they're hot.

Posted by: kenk3 | May 22, 2010 11:32 PM | Report abuse

The people claiming that there would be no protest if the teacher was distributing condoms are wrong.

Do a Google News search using the words "Condoms Schools." The very first result is an article from "fair and balanced" Fox News. It reports on complaints that the brand of condoms distributed in Washington, D.C. schools are not adequate (in particular, too small).

In the 24 comments received by this article when I looked, I could not find a single one that supported the idea of condoms in schools. Several decried the idea on principle; many others considered it a improper use of taxpayer money. Several were racist in nature, making references to D.C.'s high African American population and issues of birth control.

Of course, commenters that make the claim that, "if [insert opposite action] was the case no one would be complaining" frequently know that they are making a ridiculous claim. But the false equivalency is an easy argument to use, since it is difficult to refute in an objective way.

Posted by: wasntme543 | May 23, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Wow, how sad, we hold teachers and princliples in contempt who teach honest child development. Because if they knew the truth, they would not have the abortion, that is what the pro-aborts don't want. The kids to know that a baby's heart beat begins at 22 days. A child get's his life and his own DNA at the moment of conception.

Instead by law we only allow teachers to teach them that it is just like a little egg or sack of flour, it isn't a human being inside there. They can learn about Anansi the spider and pagan beliefs about how life began as people were made from cornstalks, but real science, that is too good to be true!

Posted by: savethebabies | May 25, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

I think that the teacher who passed out the pickled babies should have to stand on the street corner with the pickled babies glued all over her with a sign that says "I am stupid".

Posted by: fitley | May 25, 2010 11:10 PM | Report abuse

I have thought about purchasing the most realistic set I can afford and put them in my car as a reminder that unborn persons are people too.

Would go with my bumper stickers.

Now watch, I will get pulled over by a police officer thinking the fetuses are REAL!!!

Posted by: lroy77 | May 26, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse