Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
Posted at 11:43 AM ET, 04/ 1/2010

New safety measures at Pentagon

By Washington Post editors

The head of security at the Pentagon says new safety measures have been implemented since a gunman opened fire at the building last month.

Steven E. Calvery, director of the Pentagon Force Protection Agency, says his department has evaluated its operations since March 4, when John Patrick Bedell shot at officers outside the Pentagon Metro station before being killed by return fire.

Calvery says among the changes are extra screening of visitors, more random inspections of employees and communication improvements at the agency’s command center.

Calvery, who presented Pentagon police with new badges Thursday, says the Pentagon remains a target and authorities must adapt to evolving threats.

A multimillion-dollar, five-year overhaul of security at the Pentagon also is under way.

-- Associated Press

By Washington Post editors  | April 1, 2010; 11:43 AM ET
Categories:  Crime and Public Safety, DC, Maryland, Virginia  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fenty proposes $8.9 billion budget
Next: Va. man arrested for assaulting teen

No comments have been posted to this entry.

The comments to this entry are closed.

 
 
RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2011 The Washington Post Company