Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
Posted at 11:58 AM ET, 08/25/2010

Va. boy roasting marshmallow starts fire

By Washington Post editors

A 7-year-old boy's craving for a roasted marshmallow snack turned into a fast-moving fire that nearly destroyed his house.

Fire and rescue units from at least eight Albemarle County departments responded to Tuesday's blaze near Charlottesville.

No one was injured in the fire, which started in the pantry and quickly spread through the kitchen and into the house's attic.

Maynard Pritchett says his grandson was trying to toast marshmallows when the fire started. He says his wife tried to use an extinguisher to put out the flames but it didn't work.

James F. Barber, Albemarle County assistant chief for fire prevention, says efforts to control the blaze were hampered by a lack of firefighters, water and traffic congestion on a nearby road.

(Information from the Daily Progress.)

By Washington Post editors  | August 25, 2010; 11:58 AM ET
Categories:  Virginia  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Girl, 14, charged in Baltimore slaying
Next: Search for police impersonator in Md.

Comments

The poor little guy probably feels awful for starting this fire. I always suspected marshmallows were evil.

Posted by: blackforestcherry | August 25, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

How many lawyers do you think have dropped off business cards to these people in hopes of filing suit against the marshmallow manufacturer or the fire extinguisher manufacturer?
Like car salesmen without the obnoxious plaid jackets...

Posted by: BigDaddy651 | August 25, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

The comments to this entry are closed.

 
 
RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2011 The Washington Post Company