Posted at 10:42 AM ET, 05/19/2010

Va. principal wants yearbook reprinted

By Washington Post editors

A Fredericksburg high school principal is trying to have the school yearbook, "Glances 2010, Truth Be Told," reprinted after some students printed, well, a bit too much truth.

Massaponax High principal Joe Rodkey wants to erase some confessions that some have deemed "inappropriate" for a high school yearbook," the Fredericksburg Free Lance-Star reports.

A Facebook page created by Massaponax students solicited anonymous confessions for the yearbook. Most of the sayings are innocuous. But scattered throughout are sayings such as: "I have sex with people just to feel wanted," and "I once did so much pot that I woke up high."

"The students, the school and this community deserve a better yearbook than what I have," Rodkey said.

By Washington Post editors  | May 19, 2010; 10:42 AM ET
Categories:  Virginia  | Tags:  fredericksburg, yearbook
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cash for buckling up in Prince George's
Next: Curtains for Pocomoke City's rest stop?

Comments

The students are just seeing how much they can get away with, now -- and to have something to point to in the future in order to brag, "Look what I wrote!"

Posted by: perryneheum | May 19, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

It looks like the yearbook editorial staff and the teachers were not doing their jobs to edit this stuff. But we all know high school students like to brag about stuff they never really did. If it's in print, it can haunt them for the rest of their lives.

Posted by: Baltimore11 | May 19, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Kids are stupid and it is up to adults to reign them in.

Posted by: RepealObamacareNow | May 19, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Kids are stupid and it is up to adults to reign them in.

Posted by: RepealObamacareNow | May 19, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Kids socializing kids, product of daycare, latchkey kids and NO FATHER IN THE HOME. No respect for females,females no respect for themselves. Some of these animals need to be brought to justice and they will be...

Posted by: ObservantOne | May 19, 2010 7:09 PM | Report abuse

The yearbook staff did nothing wrong, they were trying to capture the true essence of the student body. They wanted even the shy students to participate so felt it had to be anonymous. The adults should have ensured that the result was properly tempered - like when the principal reviewed the advance copy, perfect time to say no instead of going to all of this notoriety and cost.

Posted by: lanwiz | May 20, 2010 7:05 AM | Report abuse

I am a student at Massponax High School this year and I believe this yearbook is the best i've ever seen. So what if this stuff is posted, its actually what teen's talk about in school. They talk about sex and drugs. This whole thing just is getting out of hand and now im unable to get the yearbook that I wanted. Thank you parents!

Posted by: PonaxTeen | May 20, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Parents love to pretend that the only thing going on in high school is math class and insufficiently nutritious school lunches. They were high school students once, and they know what went on, but they don't like to think about their kids in the same situations. This yearbook isn't so reviled because such things don't go on in high school - it's reviled because everyone knows they go on, but God forbid we should SAY anything and spoil the illusion.

When I think back to my high school yearbook, I don't see a single thing there that really reflects me - and that includes my senior portrait. The average high school yearbook sanitizes the high school experience beyond recognition. Good on these kids for publishing a yearbook that's actually a true reflection of the student body and high school life in general, the good and the bad.

Parents, instead of freaking out because kids are immoral and disrespectful and awful CLUTCH THE PEARLS, you should be freaking out because these things have been going on since your kid was in middle school and it's your fault for not noticing. You should be grateful to the yearbook staff for bringing it to light.

Posted by: Caperton | May 25, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse