Va. teen held in Kuwait to return to U.S.
A Virginia teenager who was placed on the no-fly list and barred from returning home to the United States from Kuwait is expected to arrive at Washington Dulles International Airport Friday morning, a government lawyer said.
Gulet Mohamed, a 19-year-old U.S. citizen from Alexandria, was detained in Kuwait last month at the behest of the United States, according to his attorneys. They allege that Mohamed was beaten by Kuwait officials who questioned him about his travels in Yemen and Somalia after he left the United States in March 2009.
Mohamed’s family said he went overseas to study Arabic and Islam, stayed only a few weeks in Yemen, and then lived with relatives in both Somalia and Kuwait. They said he has no connections with extremists.
Mohamed’s lawyers sued Attorney General Eric Holder, FBI Director Robert Mueller, Terrorist Screening Center Director Timothy Healy, and their respective agencies, in federal court in Alexandria. They alleged that Mohamed’s Fourteenth Amendment right to reside in United States and to re-enter the country from abroad was being violated. And they asked U.S. District Court Judge Anthony J. Trenga to order the government to allow Mohamed to return home.
Justice Department lawyer Paul Freeborne told the judge that Mohamed would be taken from a Kuwait detention center Thursday and allowed onto the flight from Kuwait to Washington.
Posted by: chuviswil11 | January 21, 2011 6:44 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: chuviswil11 | January 21, 2011 6:45 AM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.