Posted at 10:55 AM ET, 03/24/2010

Virginia students start pull-up-your-pants initiative

By Washington Post editors

Rasheed Parker, senior class president at Kecoughtan High in Hampton, got a look at one of his classmates Tuesday afternoon and saw more than he wanted to, the Daily Press reports.

The student bent over to pick up a dropped item and his already sagging pants sagged even more, showing the world his boxers. That moved Parker to start an anti-sagging campaign.

"You can't sag your pants in the real world," Parker told the paper. "It just screams unprofessional. It looks like you don't have purpose."

The school has gotten into the act, too. The principal agreed to Parker's request to play the now famous "Pants on the Ground" song to help out.

Also, take our poll on whether school's should ban saggy pants.

By Washington Post editors  | March 24, 2010; 10:55 AM ET
Categories:  Virginia
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Reading performance climbs in the District
Next: Va. man says guinea pig killed humanely

Comments

I wish METRO would do the samething, because some of the kids I see on the trains and buses would get a ticket for how they wear their pants.

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | March 24, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

PublicEnemy1 quit lookin' at the kids.

Posted by: steampunk | March 24, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

It is a practice that is homoerotic and has its genesis in prison where men, being treated like slaves, are not ALLOWED to have belts. Not quite the image that these kids think that they are conveying. It is a disgrace.

Posted by: concernedaboutdc | March 24, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Actually "concernedaboutdc" you are partly correct. As I understand it, the practice in prison also meant that you "belonged to" another inmate or was already "taken". Sad isn't?

Posted by: Skipper5 | March 24, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

I can't even express how much I hate this trend. When you have to pull up your pants after taking two steps what's the point? As other commentors pointed out, this originated in prison; sad huh? It's crossed racial and socio-econominc lines, I say to these young men, it is not cute. I'm tired of seeing your boxers and azzes. Why won't the High Schools ban this--oh wait; the ACLU will protest --SMH.

Posted by: eaglechik | March 25, 2010 7:47 AM | Report abuse