Posted at 11:06 AM ET, 12/19/2009

Virginia Highways a Mess

By Carol A. Morello

There is a seven-mile backup of vehicles near Mile Marker 188 on I-81 near Lexington, according to Virginia Department of Transportation spokesman Jeff Caldwell. A tractor-trailer accident Friday night led officials to close down the highway there, and it has not re-opened yet. Crews have not been able to get in to clear it because of the jam of cars leading up to the scene, he said. Officials have told stranded motorists calling in on their cell phones to call 911 if they're in an emergency, a message repeated on VDOT's web site and being broadcast on its 511 traffic information channel
Meanwhile, I-77 at the West Virginia border has re-opened but remains clogged, Caldwell said. West Virginia closed the border, causing a huge backup of traffic into Virginia. Many motorists have abandoned their vehicles, hindering the ability of snow plows to get through. Tow trucks are attempting to tow away trucks that were unable to get up hills.

By Carol A. Morello  | December 19, 2009; 11:06 AM ET
Categories:  Traffic and Transportation, Weather
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Snow Great for Christmas and Shopping
Next: Pr. George's declares emergency

Comments

The idiots who abandon their vehicles on the roads which hinder the plows from doing their jobs should be shot. If you have to leave your car, at least drive it into a ditch. People have absolutely no business being out "driving" in a snowstorm.

Posted by: mortified469 | December 19, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

It's easy to criticize folks driving in this weather, and some people certainly shouldn't be on the highways, but it's not that simple- folks are trying to get to their jobs, visit sick relatives, etc. If you go shopping this weekend, visit a coffeeshop or neighborhood restaurant, etc., how do you think the employees got there?

Posted by: mrudinsky1 | December 19, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

"Should be shot"? What a complete moron. Who's calling who an idiot, idiot?

Posted by: wings100 | December 19, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

You better have a darn good reason for going out otherwise you're creating a whole lotta extra work for police, snow plough drivers, etc. Unnecessary risks.
All to go Xmas shopping for little Cody & Fantasia. Your car breaks down in the middle of nowhere or on a hill.

Posted by: uncivil | December 19, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Well I can't believe about the National Guard. I was sitting here in NY and my 23-yr old daughter was all alone and she sat on I-77 for over 8 hours. When I called and asked the commander of the Joint Forces if his men were being deployed to I-77 he said no because nobody told them to! He said with the situation as it was, they should have been deployed there.
I want to know, who made the stupid decision not to utilize the Guard?
She is still in Wytheville and will stay for a second night because VA still hasn't cleaned up the mess.

Posted by: kimberlyy | December 19, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse