Posted at 2:15 PM ET, 10/ 8/2010

Child struck on Georgia Avenue

By Washington Post editors

Update 2:15 p.m.

Montgomery County officials are now reporting that a SUV, traveling north on George Avenue near Aspen Hill Road, struck a stroller carrying a young girl – believed to be 14 months to 24 months old – about 10:30 a.m. Friday.

Bystanders said the child was not breathing, and started CPR, said Capt. Oscar Garcia, a spokesman for Montgomery’s Fire and Rescue Service. Arriving police officers also administered medical help.

The child was taken to a hospital with “serious, life-threatening injuries,” Garcia said. Officials said it appears the child is going to survive.

The child's mother, who was pushing the stroller, was not struck by the SUV but suffered a minor injury to a lower leg during the accident.

The driver stayed on the scene, a police spokeswoman said.

Update: 11 a.m.

The child has been taken to a hospital with “serious, life-threatening injuries,” Garcia said. The child's mother also was taken to a hospital, but her injuries do not appear to be life-threatening, Garcia said.

The driver and vehicle stayed on the scene, a police spokeswoman said.

Original Post, 10:40 a.m.:

Montgomery County police have closed northbound Georgia Avenue, in the Aspen Hill area, to investigate an accident possibly involving two pedestrians -- a woman and an infant, a police spokeswoman said at 10:35 a.m. Friday.

Medics also are on the scene. Information is developing.

-- Dan Morse

By Washington Post editors  | October 8, 2010; 2:15 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Annapolis High student charged with rape
Next: Zombies & Virginia creepers: D.C.'s blogs

Comments

What the #### is going on around here with all of the recent pedestrian/cycling road casualties?!

"Accidents," my @$$. Anybody who lives around here knows the aggressive and even predatory way DC/MD/VA jerks drive. Everybody and thing is an obstacle and patience and consideration are seen as weakness and timidity.

As a driver, I may be marginally slower and more deliberate and hence p!ss off all of the tailgating, road-raging Type-A asSUV jerks around here. But hell, it's all worth it if I never have the misfortune of killing/maiming some defenseless ped or cyclist.

Share the ****ing road, you arrogant @$$ clowns out there.

Posted by: FedUpInMoCo | October 8, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Shocking. An @$$UV.

There should be a law that says the following:

If you are judged at fault in a collision that results in injuries and/or the death of another party (whether a that's a pedestrian, cyclist, motorcyclist, or a driver/passenger in another automobile, etc.):

The ratio of your automobile's total mass to the that/those of the entity/entities you hit should be used as a multiplier in calculating the total penalties that are applied to you (jail time, fine, etc.)

With vehicular mass comes responsibility.

People have to stop playing dumb and hiding behind their massive juggernauts, like Christy Littleford, the driver of a large SUV who recently ran over Green Party Senate candidate and cyclist Natasha Pettigrew, never stopped to see what happened, and then boldly claimed that she had *no idea* that she dragged Pettigrew's bicycle 3-4 miles home under the front of her Cadillac Escalade.

Posted by: FedUpInMoCo | October 8, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Agree that ther are too many aggressive drivers.There are also very careless pedestrians who do not cross at crosswalks run out into traffic and insist on walking in the street.I saw a mom pushing a baby in a stroller on a busy 4 lane road yesterday. she has been there every evening at 5:30 or so- in the midst of rush hour- there is a side walk- I don't get it - is this a death wish?

Posted by: 10bestfan | October 8, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

I concede that you are right about some careless peds.

I think drivers should honk at people like this women you saw -- people who are exhibiting reckless, lawless, risky behavior.

Safety education campaigns can help, although I wish they'd take an approach where people get to examine real accidents (or at least realistic scenarios that are composites of real incidents).

On the other side, I have motorists routinely cut me off at marked intersections where I clearly have the right-of-way (crosslight "walk" light), even when I am on a bike and can't easily stop.

I am continually astounded at the hostility of drivers toward pedestrians, cyclists, smaller or slower vehicles, etc., particularly in this area.

These deaths are preventable and I am sick of drivers placing overwhelming blame on the victims, even as they blithely (and often mindlessly) cruise down streets in 1.5 - 2.5 ton vehicles at 10 - 30 mph over the posted limit.

Posted by: FedUpInMoCo | October 8, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Agree- we all need to be more careful!!

Posted by: 10bestfan | October 8, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

another idiot suv driver

Posted by: slim4 | October 8, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

"I've seen mothers in Langley Park stick their strollers into busy streets to deter oncoming traffic, almost using their infants/toddlers as human shields so they can jay-walk. They need to issue citations for this type of behavior, no kidding."

I've seen this on Connecticut Ave. Mothers or nannies on their cell phones just walk into the middle of traffic, with the strollers in the lead. I guess they're too busy yakking to realize that there's a stop light a few yards to the north or south of them. And they walk out between parked cars, making them doubly hard to see.

Posted by: WashingtonDame | October 8, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

In these types of accidents, there can be error on both sides. It is premature to point blame without having all the facts. I have experienced pedestrians who fail to stop at the "do not walk" sign because they are too busy chatting on cell phones. The nannies pushing kids around in the Chevy Chase/Western Ave./Military Road area are the worst. I don't know how parents let those women watch their children!

It's sad that SUV's keep getting the bad rap. We have 2 large trucks (Yukon XL and Ford Expedition) and I have driven both trucks and a Mazda 626 in all types of traffic around the DMV. I have a 24 year safe driving record and my husbands is just as clean and he has a CDL to safeguard. My family thinks I drive like Miss Daisy and I like to think I drive safe and aware of my surroundings on and off the road.

I hope this dear child recovers and I hope everyone heeds the warning to be aware of everything around you because in the blink of an eye a distracted driver or pedestrian could do something crazy and you may need to swerve or break to save a life!

Posted by: Ross65 | October 8, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad to hear that the child is doing better. Whatever happened to walking defensively and crossing the street only at the crosswalks. What a horrible example some parents set for their children, with their inattention to their surroundings.

WTOP and other sources are reporting that the driver had a green light and that a row of cars waiting to make a left turn might have blocked the driver's view. I'm sure that's little comfort to the driver, though.

Posted by: WashingtonDame | October 8, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Ross65 wrote: "My family thinks I drive like Miss Daisy..."

I'm smiling at this. By the time we meet her, Miss Daisy doesn't drive - any more - that's why Hoke is hired to drive her.

Posted by: nan_lynn | October 8, 2010 7:20 PM | Report abuse