Posted at 12:25 PM ET, 01/27/2011

The day after: tracking responses

By Katie Rogers

Whether or not Wednesday's snow thump really was the first big test for Mayor Vincent Gray's administration, frustrated D.C. area denizens took him to task on Twitter.

While Gray announced he was pleased with the response, reporter Mike DeBonis tracked frustrated tweets as commuters slipped and slid home until late into the evening. If you're waiting for an official response via social media, you might be waiting awhile -- Gray has yet to establish a post-transition Twitter account, and @graytransition has been dormant since Jan. 2.

Those using the last of your laptop batteries to read this post, take heart -- Gray is also one of the 422,000 area residents without power today.

For more weather updates, stay tuned to Capital Weather Gang -- either via their blog or with Twitter.

P.M. updates:

What's going on today?

Take a look at the response to the commuting conditions last night -- and efforts to get power restored, abandoned cars cleared and snow cleaned up today. Tell us your story by using either #disastercommute or #snowcleanup on Twitter, or by sharing your story here.

By Katie Rogers  | January 27, 2011; 12:25 PM ET
Categories:  Your Take
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Loudoun's main roads said to be clear
Next: Manassas City to lift snow emergency at 6

Comments

It would have helped ENORMOUSLY had the federal government granted FOUR hour early release instead of just TWO hour early release. Many govt employees work until 5:30 or 6:00 PM, so 2 hours early was 3:30-4:00 PM, by which time snow was ALREADY falling!! OPM seems very sensitized by President Obama's snide comments about Washingtonians being "wimps" about snow. How about getting the federal government to release its employees in sufficient time for them to actually reach home before weather conditions deteriorate, rather than clogging the roads AS the conditions deteriorate!

Posted by: tcm_crew | January 27, 2011 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tcm_crew | January 27, 2011 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tcm_crew | January 27, 2011 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Yesterday was tailormade for telework. Might as well take advantage of technology. Keep as many cars off the roads as possible. Makes it a lot easier for snow ploughs & police/fire/ambulance.

Posted by: TaxiDriver | January 27, 2011 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps this would be a good time to review the viability of evacuation routes. Specifically, I would suggest no parking ever be allowed on evacuation routes. Evacuation routes should be emergency exits from the city. If there is an emergency a vehicle owner may be nowhere near their automobile to move it. Last evening 16th street was a parking lot pure and simple. Thank goodness it was not a disaster evacuation.

Posted by: dfunderburk | January 27, 2011 3:08 PM | Report abuse

There needs to be an investigation on how the US Park Service did/did not handle the GW Parkway yesterday. I was one of the many that was trapped - yes trapped on the parkway for 12 hours last night and today. When I saw the US Park Service blame motorists abandoning their cars (while certianly true) it was clear that they have no idea how to manage a major artery for travel and evern more clear that they woudl rather place blame that acknowledge shortcomings with plans to fix.

As I endured the confinement on the parkway I kept myself occupied through observation. Plenty of equipment to handle the snow (southbound). Plenty of officers to patrol the both side of the parkway via the south bound lanes - all looked like they were doing their best. However, I was amazed when I passed Ft. Marcy to see two young park rangers or police (too dark to tell) doing their best to manage the source of the congestion - packed snow/ice on the roadway where there is a downslope and curve followed by an upslope and hte Route 123 exit. The fact that the road was in its condition is something beyond excuse. Poor planning and even poorer management led to hours of rustration and danger for what must be thousands of commuters. Plenty of equipment, plenty of patrols. Unfortunately they lacked plenty of common sense on how to prevent and manage this dibacle. It was a disaster and I think US Park Service needs to seriously think about leadership/management of that area. I hope they got lucky and escaped without serious injury to any commuter. What I experienced was nothihng short of negligent management of a major area roadway.

Posted by: conceptman_99 | January 27, 2011 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Overall it was a piss poor performance by the Federal government and the Local governments around the area. I work for a major private sector company, in Rosslyn, and we told to leave at noon yesterday. I did not have any issues in getting home and was able to pick up my son from daycare. My wife works for the Alexandria government and they did not have an early release nor liberal leave for their employees. As a result, she leave her office on King Street at 5:00 and did not get home Vienna until after midnight. What made matters even worst is that my office was closed today but Alexandria was one of the only local government open today. My wife told them to kiss her hind side and stayed home. Just goes to show you how being proactive and being safe rather than sorry can lead to better outcomes.

Posted by: BlueWings | January 27, 2011 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BlueWings | January 27, 2011 3:25 PM | Report abuse

The snow fell at the worst time possible. It took me 7 hours to get from Crystal City to get home to Fair Oaks on I-66. I left at 3:20 and got home at 10:15 pm. The Fairfax County Parkway was a joke and was not help with some of the numbskull drivers who abandoned their vehicles in the middle of the exit. And would love to really compliment the person who tried speeding up on the Parkway so that I would not be able to merge. That person better be grateful that there wasnt an accident.

Posted by: radum27 | January 27, 2011 3:50 PM | Report abuse