Posted at 2:24 PM ET, 01/20/2009

What Inaugural Moments Will You Remember?

By Michael Corones

E.J. Dionne: 'We Are One' Metro Ride

When my family and I climbed aboard the Metro at the Falls Church station in Virginia and headed toward the inauguration, we did not realize we were entering a party, an affinity group and a bit of a political seminar. We were all friendly political sardines.
You could do a proper roll call of the states. We were surrounded by Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, Ohio, Georgia, Arkansas and Florida. Many had come with their children, including a couple from Obama’s Hyde Park neighborhood.

It was certainly the longest trip from Falls Church to downtown ever. Our sardine cans paused regularly. But we didn’t mind, as people compared notes about what they did in the campaign, including a couple of Hillary Clinton supporters who were nonetheless happy to cheer Obama.

A doctor from Florida wanted to make sure I’d look up a letter he’d recently written to the Jacksonville paper. I promised him I would.

The train conductor understood the moment perfectly. After a long series of explanations and apologies for delays, he ended with: “But don’t worry, we’ll make it. We are one.” I don’t know if I will ever hear that again from a train conductor. But it was lovely to hear it this time.

What moments will you most remember? Please share your thoughts in the comments section.

By Michael Corones  | January 20, 2009; 2:24 PM ET
Categories:  Inauguration
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: What Does Inauguration Mean for You?
Next: After the Inauguration: Will We Get Our City Back?

Comments

The "Reverend" Lowery engaging in hate speech was a truly remarkable and sour moment at what should have been a celebration of diversity.

At a time when we were celebrating the nation's election of an African American President, the good reverend saw fit to live in the past (Blacks will not be in the back) and to indulge in racial hatred (Whites will embrace what is right).

Too bad that the first post racial president has ignored and thus condoned these hateful remarks.

Posted by: peteinny | January 21, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Seeing Cheney being pushed around in a wheelchair. He became a living (?) metaphor for himself and for the past 8 years of our having to live in his world of undisclosed power.

Posted by: mikie44 | January 21, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

I will remember being in human gridlock at the 12th and Constitution checkpoint. It was very cold and miserable as we stood without moving for quite some time. Standing near me was a remarkable 90-year-old woman who had travelled all the way from San Diego, California to be in D.C. for the Inauguration. Many people were complaining because they were so miserable and because it appeared we would not even get in to go through security. She never uttered a word of complaint. I'm glad now that I was in that crowd because it enabled me to meet that beautiful woman who stood the test of time through the years of segregation, racism and a bitterly cold day in Washington, D.C. She will remain my most profound memory of Inauguration Day 2009.

Posted by: mariacecile | January 21, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

The inaguration was a celebration, with each particpant reflecting and engaging on the moment in his/her own way, some queitly and some in Some in somber tranquility and others in cheerful glee. I had friends who both and did not have tickets, some where able to get into their color coded sections and others who were not, yet all in all, with the exception of a few who felt betrayed for not getting in, marveled in the moment of resolve and hope for a better America.
The crowds seemed to swell with every growing moment, but everyone was respectful and helpful, though not knowing exactly what was going on themselves (including many of the security ushers). I guess their willingness to help is what really counts.

After three hours of walking and nearly frozen limbs, I gave into the cold and went to a local bar to watch President Obama’s swearing in ceremony and inaugural speech. With tears running down some patriots’ faces and smiles on others, we all cheered and some of us even hugged complete strangers. This is the true spirit of the best of this country—all different types of peoples coming together for a common cause, a unity and a burning desire for change in direction marked by peace, justice, and a word we don’t often use among strangers, love.

Posted by: je21 | January 22, 2009 11:49 PM | Report abuse

Easily the best part of the inauguration was when the helicopter carrying the Honorable George W. Bush flew over Washington carrying the former president and former first lady on their first leg home. Probably the greatest burden of the former first family is that they were forced to live in Washington D. C. for eight long years while serving their country. Constact exposure to the hard left is something now in their rear view window--and I could not be happier. God bless the Honorable George W. Bush and Mrs. Bush. Welcome home.

Posted by: firstnevada123 | January 23, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

I'll never forget the disgraceful way that President Bush and Vice President Cheney were treated by many in attendance - a truly boorish, low-class crowd that somehow oozed into our nation's Capital like slimy slugs. No wonder so many people despise "liberals" - they are anything but.

Posted by: realist2 | January 23, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

I will remember standing for hours outside in freezing weather to enter the Youth Ball - I had bought 4 tickets for $75 each - only to be turned away because the event was over sold.

They won't reimburse us for our tickets either.

Posted by: kwt6 | January 23, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse