Posted at 1:14 PM ET, 06/ 4/2009

Cap and Gown: Check. Job: Uh-Oh.

By Vince Rinehart

By Meredith Raimondi
Washington

After four years at George Washington University, I expected that my life would magically come together. I was aware that we college graduates often struggle to figure out what to do, but now we’re struggling just to find employment.

Among my friends, the few who have jobs next year have joined Teach for America, which is ironic because people mock humanities degrees as only being useful for teaching. The starting salary from Teach for America is higher than anyone I know with a full-time job right now. As a philosophy major, I thought that the critical thinking and analytical skills I acquired would be more desirable to prospective employers. I worked at GWU’s writing center for four years, so I thought that would give me edge on other candidates. But not so far. Indeed, there are many uncertainties as I reflect on my college education.

I have heard that there are “stimulus jobs,” and I have applied for probably a dozen jobs with the federal government alone. I have read that Washington is the best place for job-seeking college graduates right now. (I remind my parents of this when they ask me to move back home.) I feel like I am being enterprising in my search, using Craigslist, Indeed, CareerBuilder and The Post.

The few jobs that I qualify for all seem to have the same title: administrative assistant. As I read the listings, I never imagined that I would spend $200,000 on an education in hopes of making $25,000 a year when I graduated. I went to college with dreams of working on government policy, writing for a newspaper or serving on a bioethics committee. Who knew that the economy would go into crisis while I was in college? After sending what seems like my millionth résumé and cover letter, I am realizing that I might need to go back to school sooner than I expected.

GWU’s online jobs site used to be a great place to look for paid positions, but with the economic situation, jobs have been scarce. (The economy was mentioned in every graduation speech — as if we needed to be reminded how hard it would be to find a job.) Another option is an unpaid internship, which is rather unrealistic for anyone without a trust fund. Unpaid internships do offer great experience — I worked for the Special Olympics — but unfortunately they do not always lead to a paying job.

After six interviews with no responses, and my internship coming to an end, I feel uncertain about the future. I have been checking my e-mail constantly, hoping to hear about a potential interview or, better yet, a job offer. I have always believed that things will work out, so I am doing my best to embrace this experience. I thought that once college ended, all of my dreams would come true. Well, I’m not giving up yet because, as I learned in a book given to me at my high school graduation, “The Impossible Will Take a Little While.” I guess it will just take a little longer than I expected.

By Vince Rinehart  | June 4, 2009; 1:14 PM ET
Categories:  economy
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Adams Morgan Is Helping Itself
Next: Staying Safe in the Pool

Comments

As a middle-aged employed person, the only comfort I can give is that I have seen several cycles of this before, including when I graduated from college. It may be hard to believe, but your graduation from college is only the beginning, and you still have a ways to go before you have skills in any job niche that make you attractive. We've all been there. Go into something you are interested in, and don't expect to be well off right away. You may even find graduate school attractive. It's a long road, and the first few steps are always faltering ones on a crumbling pavement. Take them anyway, they eventually lead to where you want to be.

Posted by: edwinhhall | June 5, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Your encouragement is appreciated! Thank you!

Meredith

Posted by: mraimondi | June 5, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Now that our fresh young graduates, who have been indoctrinated to worship "The Global Economy", have graduated, they must be slowly coming to the realization that "The Global Economy" is nothing more than "The Global Ripoff", a scheme in which there is a GLOBAL race to the bottom in terms of pay and benefits. It is more akin to "The Global Slave Trade" than anything else.

The "Global" message is this: "Either you agree to compete with people who are paid like slaves and therefore have to live like pigs, or we will ship your job off to people who will, because they have no choice."

Happy Graduation, guys !!

Posted by: TomSixGunDrawHombre | June 5, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

"As I read the listings, I never imagined that I would spend $200,000 on an education in hopes of making $25,000 a year when I graduated."

You spent $200,000 on a philosophy degree? Holy smokes, that was a foolish decision. And I thought I had it bad when I went through my quarter-life crisis because I spent $25,000 on a journalism degree only to make $11.00 at my first job out of college.

Best of luck.